Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Builing My Own PC

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I now have the fundage to Build (wife has approved it) :tazz: So I am starting the list of components to buy.

I have been told by Geek Staff Members that I want to design my new PC around the Processor. I have found two processors that I think are good. Could someone take a look at them and tell me which is better. The Links where I found them are included:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55

Processor Speed : 64 FX-55 / 2.60GHz
Processor Interface : Socket 939
Processor Class : Athlon 64 FX
Cache Size : 128KB L1 1024KB L2
Bus Speed : 2000MHz
Additional Technologies: HyperTransport
Fan : Included

http://www.tigerdire...&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Intel Pentium 4 550

Processor Speed : 550 / 3.40GHz
Processor Interface : Socket 775
Processor Class : Pentium 4
Cache Size : 1Mb
Bus Speed : 800MHz
Additional Technologies : Hyper-Threading
Fan : Not Included

http://www.tigerdire...&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

This New PC will be used for Gaming, Watching Movies (DVD and Downloads) and general Internet surfing.

The cost of the processor is not that important to me since I am designing the system around it.

If you know of a better Processor for what I am using this PC for, please include a link to where I can find it (preferrably an internet retailer or wholesaler).

Please dont start another thread in this one concerning different hardware... I'm new at building my own PC and I want to keep it simple by starting with the processor. If I am not correct in starting with the processor Please point me in the right direction.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
AMD all the way. You get more for your money IMO. The only downside is that you (alot of the time) have to configure the FSB and multiplier manually whereas the Intel Pentium 4 does it automatically.

None the less, i would get the AMD

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont have to configure the fsb and multiplier on the athlon and FX processors. Would be nice actually in order to configure manually they would have to unlock the multiplier goin up.

AMD is the best choice for your system.

sprout

sprout

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yep AMD is the most bang for the buck. Which motherboard are you looking at?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
OK. I have decided on the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55.

These are the Motherboards I have found that say they are compatible for this processor. Please check to see which one is the best for this processor and for future upgrades:

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe nVidia Socket 939 Motherboard
http://www.tigerdire...9727&CatId=1569

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...TC-pr1c3grabb3r

K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI Motherboard
http://pcworld.price...asterid=6417699

Fatal1ty AN8-SLi Motherboard
http://pcworld.price...asterid=9108659

The only difference I can tell is the Fatal1ty board has 2000MHz FSB, where the others are around 1000MHz... does that make this the better board for the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 processor.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would go for the fatality. or the neo 4 diamond version.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Tigerdirect is a pretty good site but newegg's prices are atleast $10 cheaper on the same exact parts. Also newegg's shipping service is the best from any other company online. If you bought a few items from lets say tigerdirect and newegg at the same time, you would get the newegg parts in 2 or 3 days and tigerdirect hasnt even shipped them out yet lol..

:tazz: I know how it is when you order it you want it ASAP!

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

:tazz:  I know how it is when you order it you want it ASAP!

View Post

We all do man, its like being young in a toy shop on your birthday!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
OK we have now decided on the processor and motherboard... where do I go from here... What component is next.

So Far:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 : PROCESSOR
Fatal1ty AN8-SLi : MOTHERBOARD

I hope you guys are going to stick it out with me for the long haule... were building this turd from ordering all the parts, to assembly and a final working PC. :tazz:

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
you need some RAM and a Graphical Output (AKA Graphics card).

I would suggest OCZ or Corsair RAM, about 1 Gig.

And a GF 6800 Ultra or X850XT/L or something like that.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A 6800Ultra he isnt insane they are way to expensive for what they are nvidia so fit not to lower the prices even after the 7800 was released. The question is do you want to try SLI because you are going to have to do it know with a pair of 7800s for it to be worth getting. Otherwise you want to look at single card solutions like a x800, 6800GT, x850 or 7800GT in that order.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
On the motherboard ram specs are:

Max System Memory: 4 GB
Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM (DDRRAM)

I cannot find any ram that is in a 1GB stick for the ddr-sdram(ddrram)

all i can find is 512MB sticks.....

Am i searching wrong....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the two 512 mb is the best way to do it because you get dual channel memory it doubles the bandwidth, its hard to find single stick in anythin but value brand mobo.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
i was hoping for 4 sticks of the 1Gb. but if 4 of the 512 is all I can get oh well..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AAH right no dont do that either, the way you do it is you get two 512megs of good stuff then later on two 1gb stick as an upgrade and chuck the old ram. Because when you max out the ram or use all the slots you get a penalty like using the max ram only shows as 3gb alot of the time and using 4 sticks means it will only run at a slower speed of ddr333 rather than ddr400 it is supposed to.
And you dont buy them as single modules now you should buy them as matched pairs, you probably havent found the pair of 1gigs because they are very very expensive, to get 1gb single sticks usually isnt hard but they are only single side value stuff.

Edited by warriorscot, 17 August 2005 - 04:50 AM.