Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Recovery Message?

• Please log in to reply

mandris

mandris

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I get this message everytime I boot-up. It pops-up at the log-in screen. I click OK and finish logging on, but my computer seems to log-on slower and some programs seem a little buggy. Here is the message:

---------------------------
Windows - Registry Recovery
One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.
OK
---------------------
I tried doing the Windows repair installation and thought that had worked because the message didn't come up when windows installation restarted. But on the first windows update, when I had to restart the computer, the stupid message came back.

Happy to hear more suggestions,

Thanks

Edited by mandris, 11 September 2005 - 08:03 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mandris...Welcome to G2G!

Do you have your Windows XP installation cd and product key? If you do, you might REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 05:22 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
wannabe1's link is a little messed up for 'REPAIR,' try this link instead.

mandris

mandris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
wannabe1.
Thanks for the reply. Is the REPAIR, the easiest way to solve the problem?
If so I'll give it a try.

mandris

mandris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Fenor, you were right about the link.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
mandris...

By far! It works like a charm.

wannabe1

Hey Fenor...don't you think a "little messed up" is a little understated? :tazz: I fixed it...thanks for the heads up! :)

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 09:19 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Wannabe1

Well this is a family atmosphere forum, wanted to keep it as civil as possible. :tazz:

mandris

mandris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I get this message everytime I boot-up. It pops-up at the log-in screen. I click OK and finish logging on, but my computer seems to log-on slower and some programs seem a little buggy. Here is the message:

Windows - Registry Recovery
One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.
OK
---------------------
I tried doing the Windows repair installation and thought that had worked because the message didn't come up when windows installation restarted. But on the first windows update, when I had to restart the computer, the stupid message came back.

Thanks

mandris

mandris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wannabe1,

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
mandris...

I need to have you look at something for me.

Click Start then Control Panel then double click System. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" box, click "Settings". Is there more than one operating system in the drop down menu under Default Operating System?

Also go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, tick the box at the top to "Show Updates" and look for KB891711...let me know if it's there.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 09:21 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mandris...

Edited out due to merger.....

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 09:22 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy Mandris:

I merged your two threads as they are one in the same.. Please do NOT double post your problem!!

Murray

mandris

mandris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry about the double post. I'm new at this.

I looked the the for the items in control panel and there is only one OS listed in the 'Startup and Recovery' box. (XP Home Edition).

The update KB891711 was not listed.

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
mandris...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

mandris

mandris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
wannabe1,
thanks, I'll give this a try.

mandris