Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommendations for alt browser?

• Please log in to reply

dln159

dln159

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Just had a major malware hassle and never want to live through that again! Would changing browsers (currently using IE) help? If so, any recomendations for free ones that work well and maybe are not so vulnerable? Thanks.

Advertisements

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Hi there,

Yes changing browsers can do the trick because it stops active-x and Javascript and such things from running.

I would suggest that you use Firefox.

Any Question Please Feel Free To Ask :tazz:

dln159

dln159

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks. I just downloaded Firefox and am, in fact, viewin this post with it. It seems good so far. I downloaded the beta for 1.5. If you are an expert I will take you up on your offer of help if/ when questions come up.

Thanks again! :tazz:

P.S. How do u get those cute icons to appear in the post?

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Ok Good that you get it working ! :tazz:

To Get the icons of you have to find a little logo and left click, go to properties copy the url into your signiture and highlight it then click on the IMG tab on there.

Tell me how you get on ! :)

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm for Firefox -- I've used it myself. but some popular plugins (flash, shockwave, realplayer) are a pain to get to work in firefox -- some don't work at all. With IE they just install automatically and work. If you don't need them -- well I guess your certainly better off with FF, though I have to say I prefer IE and I haven't been 'zapped' yet in over 6 years. I keep my av up to date, run several spyware blockers and a utility to block known malicious threats.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
well if you stay away from advertising with IE and only do things that you trust and dont run ActiveX scripts then your about 90% safe ! :tazz:

wargod2293

wargod2293

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm for Firefox -- I've used it myself. but some popular plugins (flash, shockwave, realplayer) are a pain to get to work in firefox -- some don't work at all. With IE they just install automatically and work. If you don't need them -- well I guess your certainly better off with FF, though I have to say I prefer IE and I haven't been 'zapped' yet in over 6 years. I keep my av up to date, run several spyware blockers and a utility to block known malicious threats.

View Post

I dont know what you mean about problems with plugins. I have had a bit of trouble getting quicktime to work but everything else I had no trouble at all.

And firefox is much much better than ie. It practically eliminates the need for an external popup blocker.

dln159

dln159

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yeah I was good for about 6 years too, until about two weeks ago. Now I'm battle weary! So I'll try Firefox.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

View Post

I've never had any problem running flash, shockwave, realplayer or quicktime in FF. if you have 1.0.6 most of those bugs are now worked out. and believe it or not most of those bugs were incompatible because of the makers of the programs not Mozilla.org

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Just don't be lulled into a false sense of security thinking you are safe from malware by using FF, because it isn't true. I have to agree that FF can be inconvenient to use efficiently at times, and I don't care whether it's FF, or us amateur webmasters, making the web page errors. When I click, I expect results, and IE delivers the net consistently. Using FF for security instead of personal preference might be an exercise in frustration.
Johanna

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Just don't be lulled into a false sense of security thinking you are safe from malware by using FF, because it isn't true.  I have to agree that FF can be inconvenient to use efficiently at times, and I don't care whether it's FF, or us amateur webmasters, making the web page errors.  When I click, I expect results, and IE delivers the net consistently. Using FF for security instead of personal preference might be an exercise in frustration.
Johanna

View Post

This I will agree with completely. I"ve said it before and I will probably say it til I die. the only 100% guaranteed way to keep you computer from being infected is to disconnect from the internet.

to give you an example, there was an exploit, you can read it at http://TomCoyote.org/Theory/, through a java applet install that I helped uncover. in a nutshell what it did was use the java applet to circumnavigate FF and hit IE. Which, as many people may or may not know, is the main backbone for Windows. Quite a few infections out there now attack not just Internet Explorer, but they can attack and harm your main windows install. They do this by infecting IE which in turn attacks Windows in general. and yes they can get around alternate browsers too.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
well no browser really is completely safe. the reason we're seeing so many new security holes in firefox has to be in part due to the rising popularity. it's beginning to challenge IE these days. I think people just have to remember to keep their wits about them online but this is true of anything in life really.

I've never had problems with flash and quicktime in firefox. it seems to have taken nicely to the quicktime install I had on my system and flash only took a few minutes to download. they could really work on java support in linux though.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
I have had no problems with FF this far.. Flash, shockwave, Realplayer and quicktime works as they should be - as does the rest of the plugins (well, I don't know if all of them does, but at least the ones I use.)

Just don't be lulled into a false sense of security thinking you are safe from malware by using FF, because it isn't true. I have to agree that FF can be inconvenient to use efficiently at times, and I don't care whether it's FF, or us amateur webmasters, making the web page errors. When I click, I expect results, and IE delivers the net consistently. Using FF for security instead of personal preference might be an exercise in frustration.

Gotta disagree.

I use it for security and personal preference both. It's working just perfectly. I know.. No browser is perfect, but at least it's better than IE.
And that's what I'm looking for :tazz:

dln159

dln159

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well I just tried to install Flash and it didn't work. Unless I gave up too soon. Anyway I really don't care about the plug ins too much. I can always use IE on the rare occasions I need to see what they are showing.

So far I swear FF is loading pages faster and is just as easy to use. Plus I've taken one more element of my life out of the hands of Bill Gates, so that makes me smile. :tazz:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Plus I've taken one more element of my life out of the hands of Bill Gates, so that makes me smile. :)

That's the right attitude.. :tazz: :)