Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Worst PC Encounter

• Please log in to reply

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Hi There,

Just thought I may start a topic on what the worst thing was that happened with you and the PC ?

Was It Loosing Internet Connection. Was It getting malware. Was it losing data ?

Let Me Start If I May

The Worst Thing for me was my encounter with the MSN Messenger Virus !

Ok Now Your Turn !

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When the fluid bearing of the family computer burst and leaked all over the pc insides, the msn messenger virus was a real pain though.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
I wouldnt be suprised if someone brought up the something to do with the coolwebsearch infection here ! LOL :tazz: People Have Been getting it so much as i can see from the malware forum !

Edited by cleverboy12, 19 September 2005 - 12:20 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I had gathered a collection of MP3s of the singles my mother used to play on her gramaphone, called her in and played one after the other to her, each time she said "Oh, I like that, who is it", I would explain, play the next "Oh, I like that, who is it" until at the end of the list I played the first one again "Oh, I like that, who is it". So now I know I thought, nothing lost in trying I thought, wrong, everything lost in knowing I then felt.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well there was this one time that i was walking alone, down a darkened street, and all of a sudden these three "E-machines" (or at least that's what they called themselves as the pummeled me) jumped from behind a dumpster and started beating me...telling me to give them my wallet...i kept pleading for my llife "please no...i'll do whatever you want just don't kill me" but they kept hitting me in the face with their cd drawers and spitting floppy disks at me....one of them even flashed a derogetory BSOD at me...man....it was the worst day of my life....

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
taking it out of the box and plugging it in,because for the first 2 years there was absolutely no protection of any kind on it.I didn't empty my history files checked any internet properties,nothing at all.It did what it wanted and if I was lucky I got to watch.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Just today I had to install a new hardrive in a 6 year old compaq and for some reason the restore disks would not work, I then had to buy a copy of windows 98, then the thing didn't like the modem drivers for my cable modem, then I had to find and download all the drivers for sound, video ect that are compaq specific.

7 hours to install a drive, windows and ms updates what a mess

Rick

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I recently had a look at a friends PC, it was an AMD 64 3000+ with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD. It was reduced to running like an old Pentium by multiple pieces of spyware, viruses and trojans. One piece of spyware that was running on the PC would use 99% of the CPUs time.
Ran Ad-Aware and Spybot but both would keep closing when trying to fix anything. I had to use the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows so that I could remove enough of the spyware, viruses and trojans to be able to use Windows.

5 hours and numerous beers later.

1200 pieces of spyware removed.
21 trojans removed.
9 viruses/worms.
Norton Internet Security reinstalled and updated.
Temp folders/cache emptied.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
WOW that looks bad !

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If its stuff that spybot and adaware can repair, then its not that bad.

Advertisements

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
But What If Its a Virus or Trojan And Spyware and Spybot and AdAware can detect ?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Detecting and removing are 2 very different things.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
I dont quite understand :tazz:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The ability to detect a problem is one thing. Having the ability to remove a problem is something completely different.

Spybot and AdAware can detect many things, but can mainly only remove simple things.

ScHwErV :tazz:

M4_Fanatic

M4_Fanatic

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
I have loads....wrost one... Let me think...
It was a few months after i bought this pc.

Having this "180 search assistant" then losing internet connection.
Had to reformate. To be honest, looking back now ,i think i am an idiot (almost 2 years on and I am still an idiot). If only i knew about the spyware removal tools on this site. Then I might be able to save my files and time.