Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound problem

• Please log in to reply

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

I have an old (2001) AMD k6-2 machine with 384mb memory. It originally had windows ME and I recently upgraded to XP home to make wifi network work better.

Great for about 3 weeks. Recently the sound has stopped working.

Using troubleshooter confirms sound card working ok, enabled and no conflicts.

I did use Regseeker to clean registry - about 2 weeks ago. sound worked after the clean.

I have used system restore to revert to pre Regseeker version.

Sound card is Creative Audio PCI (ES1371)(ES1373) (WDM)

I am using the speakers in my Acer1715 screen and I have checked the cable is OK

Advice appreciated.

:tazz:

Advertisements

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok when you play a tune on a player does it show that it's making a sound? If not is it on mute?
Then go onto the audio mixer and find out if any of those are muted, make sure that the wave and master volume aren't muted, or cd if you listen from cd's. Does your soundcard mixer show you if it's making a sound?
I make sure that I have the latest drivers on my machine because they are more effective than the previous drivers so try updating the driver.
Hope one of those tips helps

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check for drivers here, worth re-installing if you checked everything else

http://uk.europe.cre...port/downloads/

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

Thanks for responses.

Real Player appears to be playing a tune, but no sound, as does windows media player.

I have been on to the web site but there does not appear to be a newer driver.

Could the sound part of my registry have been erased??

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install the drivers even if they are showing as correctly installed

Click start, control panel, sounds speech and audio, sounds and audio, click audio to check the playback device

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

Just deleted drivers, re booted and let XP find and install them.

Still nothing

I have added the sound tweak from http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm, but again no difference.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
XP would recognise the soundcard but would not install the drivers for it

Check the creative site for XP drivers

Download Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer's site for the suitable driver for your Operating System

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

I've done that.

Everest identified a
Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card.

I have downloaded a self extracting driver for XP, but the self extraction cannot see any sound blaster sound card on my system

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ONLY If you have the installation CD which came with the card

Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, click + next to sounds, video, games controllers, click the soundcard then right click, click uninstall, click to confirm then reboot

Go back to device manager to see if the soundcard has been re-installed correctly

Run the installation CD

Try to install the updated driver

Creative files are updates and will only install if the original installation CD has been used to install the drivers and other software

http://uk.europe.cre...ds/download.asp

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
A friend of mine has the exact same problem and I even installed a new sound card. I did all of the above still no sound. He's busy with his house at the moment but when he calls back, I'm gonna try that 'driver cleaner' program and then try the install again. His problem started with a Creative sound card also. If the driver cleaner program doesn't work, I'm gonna backup, format and reinstall. This one is a real mystery......

Advertisements

teh_inquisitor

teh_inquisitor

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hmm, that is strange, you might want to check the BIOS to see if there are any settings that stop the soundcard from working. I can't really give any tips on doing that seeing as all motherboards are different.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For the BIOS, there should be an onboard devices option, onboard audio should be disabled if a separate sound card is installed, though most will disable or override the setting when they install

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

Thanks for all this advice - really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I dont have the installation disc as this card came with the machine when new.

Am about to investigate bios and will let you know.

snillocjnhoj

snillocjnhoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

When I looked at BIOS, the on board sound was enabled.

So I dis abled it. However, Everest then reported no sound card whatsoever, so I enabled it again and the card is back - but still no sound.

I have downloaded a web driver from Creative web site and it installed. Told me to reboot and I did so.

Still no sound. :tazz: 'smid_17')
smilie

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Hey snilloc....scroll down on this link, there's some good info here. Don't know if it'll help but it's worth a shot:

http://www.5starsupp...m/faq/sound.htm

My friend with the sound problem has not called me back. I know he's busy trying to get a house ready for some renters to move in. I looked in his bios but could find no option for sound. As soon as I get it solved, I'll email you with what worked......