Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluetack HOSTS Manager

• Please log in to reply

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
I am VERY impressed with this Bluetack Hosts File Manager. I downloaded the manager and the HOSTS file that Bluetack provided from the B.I.S.S. site ( http://www.bluetack....orums/index.php? ).

This program is AMAZING!! Not only is it colorful and relatively easy to use (I still don't understand the exlude and include lists, but almost everything else I do understand), but it can import a HUGE number of sites from a text file. This saves trouble of manually typing in each domain name.

The most impressive thing is that the Bluetack HOSTS file contains over 65 THOUSAND sites that it protects you from!!

For those who do not know what a hosts file is, I will explain in very simple terms by use of an example:

Example of entry in hosts file:

127.0.0.1 badsite.com

If you accidentally visit badsite.com (badsite.com is not an actually bad site, its just an example), the hosts file will redirect that address to 127.0.0.1 (the IP address for everyone's own computer) and therefore you will get a "page cannot be displayed" error. This is a practically foolproof way to save yourself from spyware, malware, dialers, viruses, and intrusive ad servers. It's like putting sites in the Restricted Sites Zone only far better because the Restricted Sites Zone still allows web pages to load, whereas the hosts file will not. Even better, there is a forum at B.I.S.S. where you can report new bad sites or ones missing from their very extensive list.

Advertisements

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Has anyone heard of this, do you agree/disagree with my opinion? Do you think its too false-positive prone? What do you think? Have you tried it? Anyone?