Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CS-S crashes or restarts my pc

• Please log in to reply

dural85

dural85

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ive recently brought a new pc which has a good graphics card to play hl2 and doom3 at a good level of graphics. I've had a little problem with doom3 crashing every so often, but trying to play counter strike source, the game i love most, crashes all the time after a few minutes in a game. It often loops the sound when it crashes. It also restarts my pc without error message or warning. Ive recently formatted the HD, but the problem still occurs, ive turned off onboard sound in bios but problem still occurs. I have all the lastest drivers for graphics card and windows updates. Ive looked everywhere on the net but no solution has worked, could someone please help me?

:tazz:

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
have you checked the steam forums?

http://www.steampowered.com

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

dural85

dural85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok it hasn't crashed and restarted yet, but this is what it has done.
Froze with loop sound- looked in eventvwr.msc and said Application Hang, category:none, event:1001
Application Hang, Category:(101), event:1002
Then crashed again HL2.exe error page, clicked debug and in the thing it said
Application error, category:none, event 1000
Then crashed again HL2.exe error page as before, clicked send error but then came up with another box saying "the instruction at "0x2419c8b8" refernced memory at "0x10846144" the memory could not be "read"." and the event thing said Application error, category:none, event 1000
Application error, category:none, event 1001

Ive already checked on steam website followed advice and no luck. any suggestions?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unfortunatly....those errors....are....well vague at best...they could be anything from bad ram, to you not holding your mouth the right way when you're looking at the machine....

try cleaning out the inside of the machine (processor fans, memory, motherboard, etc...) to make sure there is no dust

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

do start > run> chckdsk /f

http://www.memtest86.com/ download that and run it on your machine...try doing this with only one stick of ram in the machine at a time (if you have more than one)

i will admit...that all of these are stabs in the dark....so bear with me

dural85

dural85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
performed what you said and the memory test brought up 4927 errors in test 5 and 1 in test 7. this seems to be a prob, do i need some new memory?

dural85

dural85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i also did the other test and there were no problems with windows, i didnt think there would be as i only formatted it yesterday and installed a fresh xp pro.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like a memory problem

how many ram chips do you actually have in the machine?

dural85

dural85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have 1 512mb sticks of ram. I read up about the test and it says its common to hav lost of errors in tests 5 and 8 with athlon machines, also if you get a lot of error it might be the program tring to read memory that isn't there. is this what has happened to mine or is it the actual ram?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it is a possibility.....is there any chance that you can get your hands on another stick of the same kind of ram to do a test?

Advertisements

dural85

dural85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no affraid not. I only brought the pc a couple of wks bk, so im gonna take it bk now i know its nothing to do with software and drivers, etc. so i should get it all sorted soon now i know what the problem is most lilely to be. thanx for all the help

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry we couldn't narrow it down faster..and to an exact problem

LuNa7ic

LuNa7ic

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
What is your system specs?

dural85

dural85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
athlon 64 3000+, 512ram, msi nx6600gt, asus a8ne-fm motherboard, onboard sound

EXpReSS1985

EXpReSS1985

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hellow,
Ik have a similar problem as dural85 with counter-strike source. When I try to join a server cs-s starts up and imidiatly my pc restarts by himself. When I went to de restart properties by my computer and I said that he maynot restart again after a failure, he just do the same thing but with the only difference that when he is starting p, I get a blue screen with this technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x00000005,0xBFA7598B,0xF4946C04,0xF4946900)
*** nv4_disp.dll - Adress BFA7598B base at BF9D4000, DataStamp 43333970

Is there some one how can tell me more? Or just help me with te prob.

Thanks allreay,

EXpReSS1985