Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

longest word in the english lanuage

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what is officially recognized as the longest word in the english language?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Look at this link.

http://en.wikipedia....word_in_English

Floccinaucinihilipilification

Its an official real word and is in Guinness Book of Records.

Edited by jrm20, 08 December 2005 - 10:08 AM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
hehe that's the same link I found.

Gotta love Google :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah its easy to find anything.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehehe same link that made me start the thread...CHEATERS!!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts

...CHEATERS!!

Can't help it :tazz: Google is my weakness when I don't know the answer :) :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
great weakness to have........i'm gonna start a new challenge that you might like

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...topic=83495&hl= <--the challenge

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I always thought it was antidisestablishmentarianism (28 letters), and in fact won a prize for knowing it. :tazz:

According to the Oxford dictionery:
floccinaucinihilipilification (29 letters)

The rest are medical:
pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism (30 letters)
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters)

Latin equivilents:
osteosarchaematosplanchnochondroneuromuelous (44 letters)
osseocarnisanguineoviscericartilaginonervomedullary (51 letters)

and fiction?:
aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic (52 letters)

http://www.askoxford...rds/longestword

What about Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? Only 34 :)

Advertisements

DeathOutdone

DeathOutdone

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Wow, guys those are great words!

Here's a nice short word for you all-

This is the full name, 1,913 characters long, for tryptophan synthetase, a protein, which has 267 amino acids in it.

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucyl phenylalanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyl lysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenyl alanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycylisol eucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartyl threonylleucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartyl alanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylisoleucylprolylphenyl alanylserylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartylglycylprolyl threonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucyl arginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonyl prolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamyl methionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysyl histidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucyl leucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenyl alanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenyl alanyltyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalyl glycylvalylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalyl prolylvalylglutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanyl arginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginyl valylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinyl prolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucyl leucylarginylglutaminylisoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycyl arginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginyl alanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginyl arginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparaginylhistidyl leucylvalylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginyl alanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminylglycylphenylalanyl glycylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysyl alanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanylglycyl alanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisol eucylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucyl glutamylprolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyl lysylvalylphenylalanylvalylglutaminylprolylmethionyllysyl alanylalanylthreonylarginylserine.

This was back in the day when they named a chemical compound by each amino acid's prefix. Many letters tend to repeat because there are more than 1 type of a certain amino acid in the compound. I believe after this word they realized how ridiculous it was to name compounds this way. After all, how could you memorize this word?

According to the rules of the contest it had to be the longest word in the English language, and fortunately you didn't specify from what time period...so this word still qualifies although its obsolete today :)

So, what's my prize? :tazz:

Edited by DeathOutdone, 09 December 2005 - 07:25 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
They must have had a sale on Y's! :tazz:

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucyl...

I'm glad that wasn't on my last AP Bio test!

So, what's my prize?

The knowledge. Make sure to memorize it in case anybody ever asks you. :tazz:

My research questions:
1. What is the longest math-related word (english)?
2. What is the longest word that can be typed using only letters from the top row of letters on a keyboard?

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
The longest word in my dictionary(a couple 100 words) is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis... Yeah it was mentioned before but im just saying I consider this to be the longest ENGLISH NOT LATIN word in the language.

TaylrMayd

TaylrMayd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

The longest word in my dictionary(a couple 100 words) is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis... Yeah it was mentioned before but im just saying I consider this to be the longest ENGLISH NOT LATIN word in the language.

Does knowing what it means count......I remember learning about this word, I swear, in the 3rd or 4th grade. It's like a random fact that kids know, such as how much the human head weighs..... :tazz: