Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hardrive formatting

• Please log in to reply

suntanio

suntanio

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi,

ive recently purchased 160gig internal hardrive and think ive installed properly...the problem is that im running windows xp and ive read the formatting instructions on the installation disk,and they say i need to instal my system disk ...which i dont have . any ideas how to format this hardrive?

cheers :tazz:

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello suntanio,

Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. You bought a new hard drive, and you want to use it as a second drive, not as the primary drive, correct?

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi compu...

yeah thats correct...ive got it installed and i want to run a a second drive....ive set the jumpers as in the installation instructions ,just dont know how to partition or format it ?
installation cd describes using my windows xp disk ...but i have not got it.
all a bit confusing really...any other way round it

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
When you start windows, does the hard drive appear in My Computer? If not, can you see the new hard drive in Setup?

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
no, there is nothing in device manager or in my computer.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
See if your new hard drive is visible in Setup (aka CMOS setup or BIOS setup). This involves pressing a certain key right after you turn on your computer.

How to get into setup

The key is different from computer to computer, so check out that website to find out what key to press.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

How do you have the jumpers set for BOTH drives and where on the IDE cable are both drives located??

Next, go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management

Now, click on "Disk management" under the "Storage" heading.. Can you see the new drive??

Murray

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi, ive checked in bios and nothing....also looked in admin tools/disk management...nothing there...i have the new drive attached on the grey connecter and the primary drive (the original) on the end black connector, i have set the jumpers like it says in the manual for the new drive (secondary) they are set across a-b and c-d,

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Does this configuration set the hard drive up for Cable Select (CS), Slave, or Master? And did you plug in the power cord for the HD as well?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What is the make and model of the new drive?? Normally, only one set of jumper pins is used and it looks like you are using two!!

Murray

Advertisements

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi,

yeah ive attached a spare power supply to the hardrive and connected it as in the manual....the installation guide also says to use the 2 jumpers as supplied
the model is hitachi deskstar 7k400

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Can you hear the hard drive spin up when you turn the computer on? If it does, then we can rule out spin-up failure. Try arranging your jumpers for Cable Select like in the following image:

Posted Image

If you still cannot see your hard drive in Setup, try the Cable Select in this image:

Posted Image

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 December 2005 - 12:16 PM.

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
cheers compu

thats done the trick......system now sees the new drive, the only thing now is to partition it, do i need the system disk as i dont have it

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you can see the drive in My Computer, then all you should have to do is Right-click on the new hard drive, click on format, select NTFS as the File System, UNcheck Quick Format, and then start formatting. It may take a while, but when it is done, it will be ready for use.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 December 2005 - 09:27 AM.

suntanio

suntanio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi compu,

yeah ive managed to do this and new drive is working like a dream.....cheers for information and thanks