Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remove Linux!

• Please log in to reply

NintyFan

NintyFan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I need a lot of help removing Linux, i know evreyone loves it, and I hate microsoft as the next person, my mate gave me a Linux disk a while a go, so installed it on my machine. Later I found I had no use for it as my dial-up connection was only available in windows or Linux BETA, and i couldnt play music as i needed to update the music player... yes you got it over the internet! Being a right noob I wanted to explore Linux so i tried an duel screen, this has no left me with only one of the screens working, and once Linux is loaded fully (log in screen appears) I can't see anything! (screen blurey) :tazz:

Can any one explain in noob terms how i can manualy remove linux, without logging on! :)
as the Microsoft disk only works once linux is removed, and my mate took the Linux disk away with him.
Many Thx NintyFan :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From Microsoft KB247804.

Linux file systems use a "superblock" at the beginning of a disk partition to identify the basic size, shape, and condition of the file system.

The Linux operating system is generally installed on partition type 83 (Linux native) or 82 (Linux swap). The Linux boot manager (LILO) can be configured to start from:
• The hard disk Master Boot Record (MBR).
• The root folder of the Linux partition.
The Fdisk tool included with Linux can be used to delete the partitions. (There are other utilities that work just as well, such as Fdisk from MS-DOS 5.0 and later, or you can delete the partitions during the installation process.) To remove Linux from your computer and install Windows:
1. Remove native, swap, and boot partitions used by Linux:
a. Start your computer with the Linux setup floppy disk, type fdisk at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: For help using the Fdisk tool, type m at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
b. Type p at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to display partition information. The first item listed is hard disk 1, partition 1 information, and the second item listed is hard disk 1, partition 2 information.
c. Type d at the command prompt, and then press ENTER. You are then prompted for the partition number you want to delete. Type 1, and then press ENTER to delete partition number 1. Repeat this step until all the partitions have been deleted.
d. Type w, and then press ENTER to write this information to the partition table. Some error messages may be generated as information is written to the partition table, but they should not be significant at this point because the next step is to restart the computer and then install the new operating system.
e. Type q at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Fdisk tool.
f. Insert either a bootable floppy disk or a bootable CD-ROM for the Windows operating system on your computer, and then press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart your computer.
2. Install Windows. Follow the installation instructions for the Windows operating system you want to install on your computer. The installation process assists you with creating the appropriate partitions on your computer.

If this was me i would download a Knoppix iso and make a bootable CD of it. Then you can use the linux fdisk to delete the partitions by the above method.

http://www.knoppix.org/

Hit the english button so you can read what the page says. Download the iso and burn it as a bootable cd with nero or any burning software that can make bootable cd's. You can also read this on Knoppix.

http://www.shockfami...cedric/knoppix/

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 30 January 2006 - 08:08 AM.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Darik's Boot and Nuke.

Install to floppy or load the iso to a CD.

:tazz: