Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limiting a random number? (C++)

• Please log in to reply

Throntel

Throntel

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
when I make a random function in a variable like this:

int a = rand();

How do I then limit the rand(); To only randomize betweem numbers from 0-10?
I thought it might be:

int a = rand(0-10);

But it didn't work so I guess that was wrong, also I were wondering how I can make the random funktion include comma (like: 2,34)...

Please respond to this :tazz: Probably easy for you real geeks out there, I'm currently just a wannabe :)

Advertisements

destin

destin

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
It is really quite simple. What you are trying to do is put an integer argument (0-10 = -10) into the rand() method. It is not overloaded to do that. You obviously were trying 0 through 10, but the '-' operator subtracts.

An easy way to get a random number from 0 to 10 is to simply use the modulus operator:
int rnd = rand() % 10;
Any number % 10 will give you either 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9. If you want to set a range, you can use basic math:
int rand(int min, int max) {
	return rand() % (max - min + 1) + min;
}
Say you want a random number from 5 to 7, you would call it like this: rand(5, 7);
This will mod a random number by 3 (7 - 5 + 1). Now you have a number that is either 0, 1, or 2. Add 5, and you have a number 5, 6, or 7.

As for displaying random number with a comma, you can just append a comma to then end of a random number. For instance, if I wanted to display 5 random numbers:
for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
	cout << rand(0, 10);
	if (5 - i > 1) { // we don't want to add an extra comma at the end
		cout << ", ";
	}
}
Hope this helps!

Edited by destin, 04 February 2006 - 11:57 AM.

Throntel

Throntel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yeah, it really did.
Thanks for you're help :tazz: