Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installation making

• Please log in to reply

scozzard

scozzard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,

Iv just finished a rather large program in VB (6 forms and 15 class modules). Iv used visual basic 6 in visual studio and compiled using the simple File > make program functionality.

all good, ran fine on my comp and my bosses comp so it got sent out... but when it runs on other comps all sorts of havoc can break loose,

one error coming up is,

Run time error '713'.
Class not registered.
You need the following file installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL

Also white color is turning to black in some instances

One computer displays a msgbox saying, "autocad requires administrative rights"

what the [bleep] is going on

I figure its because i am giving people a straight .exe file of the program, everything is in the .exe it doesnt link to any other files. So i assume it needs an installation making process, does anyone know where to go to do this or what is the best one for visual basic 6 .exe compiled files?

please for the love of god help me the boss in on my [bleep]

Advertisements

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Get an InstallShield installation or something like that which will simplify your installation problems much better!

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
First of all, It's you who think that VB gives you single file application. But my dear VB virtual machine is needed to run any VB application, i.e, MSVBVM60.dll. If its not on your system, then you can't run VB application.

I'm only tellin this, so that you should know VB application will not run unless you supply all libaries on which your application depend.

Now the question is how to find out on which my application is depending.
Just use the "Package and Deployment wizard" to generate dependency file to find out all libraries on which your application is dependent. You can find "Package and Deployment wizard under Add-Ins menu and in Add-Ins manager.

Now just include all those files with your exe. One thing more all those dll's have to be register, then only it can work. To register a dll, simply type this in run dialog -
regsvr32 <dll file with full path>

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
First of all, It's you who think that VB gives you single file application. But my dear VB virtual machine is needed to run any VB application, i.e, MSVBVM60.dll. If its not on your system, then you can't run VB application.

I'm only tellin this, so that you should know VB application will not run unless you supply all libaries on which your application depend.

Now the question is how to find out on which my application is depending.
Just use the "Package and Deployment wizard" to generate dependency file to find out all libraries on which your application is dependent. You can find "Package and Deployment wizard under Add-Ins menu and in Add-Ins manager.

Now just include all those files with your exe. One thing more all those dll's have to be register, then only it can work. To register a dll, simply type this in run dialog -
regsvr32 <dll file with full path>

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
A free installation maker is Installer2Go (google it), if you want something really fast and easy to use.
If you are looking for a good compression rate, scriptability and professional glare, NSIS (google it :)) is the choice.

To your problem - check the Project -> References and Components and see what .DLL and .OCX and whatever files are referenced in your project. Include them in the installation package. I had some VERY BAD experiences with the VB's Package and Deployment wizard and so I use NSIS ever since. :tazz:

scozzard

scozzard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks guys,

All is well now thanks for the help!