Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High School Course Selections

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok i want to study computer engineering or programming in university and I do know there are some requirments before I can enter university. I was wondering which of these courses I should take:

Data management
Calculas
Functions

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
or
Tech Design

I know some of them seem pointless which is why im asking so that I can narrow it down. Please inform me of any other courses I need to take.

Edited by SOORENA, 15 February 2006 - 07:26 PM.

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
definately calc and physics...... for your major...

Im a bio nerd so id say bio too.... =)

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Im basicly on the same path as you. I am a sophmore though and also want to do chiropractic. These are the classes i am taking next year and the ones in red are the ones im taking now (Sophmore) all the others are next year my junior year.

If your going to do computer engineering, you may want to get 2 years of CAD under your belt. My dad is does tool and dye, and he said he should have took CAD because he could be making so much more. If you know CAD you can do some serious projects.

Computer Repair (so i can A+ certified)

Computer Programming (1&2)

Algebra 2

Chemistry

Earth Science

CAD

Geometry

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Tech design, physics, maths(when i was in high school we just did mathematics with everything in it and at uni i still have to do calculas and non-calculus, at my uni informatics students have their own maths courses but its common to take informatics as your elective if you are doing science or engineering and so you can do maths for scienctists and engineers the only real differnce is different teaching method really as maths is maths).

I would say chemistry as if you go into computer engineering(although im not exactly sure what you mean by that a computer engineer as in hardware would be an electrical engineer or a software engineer would do informatics or computer science) it is useful to have a certain level of knowledge of how materials behave.

CAD skills are useful but its an easy skill to learn if you can do technical drawing by hand which in itself isnt that hard a skill. At university they generally teach you CAD skills if you need it im sure im do CAD next year.

Myself im doing chemical engineering(IBMs second largest group of profeesionals are chemical engineers so i can still work in the computer industry) so i did chemistry and physics to the highest level at HS, i did computing at HS but it was a joke i actually managed to not turn up to classes do no work do no revision and still get an A in the exam.

TheWorm

TheWorm

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Physics and Calc are your best options. Tech design is also an option...?

Edited by TheWorm, 18 February 2006 - 12:07 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
everything is good there in my opinion except bio, its usless when it comes to computer really.
James