Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 Networking Tutorial

• Please log in to reply

jakem

jakem

• Pip
  • 4 posts
where do u find the tird party website for software windows media connect 2.0?

bye azjake email me removed

Advertisements

cool8man

cool8man

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

I don't know how many years of my life I have spent searching for answers to different network and firewall problems. It's just very sad. Sometimes I wonder if something good comes out of it, or is it just a huge waste of time?

Now I have spent two whole days trying to connect my xbox 360 to my Windows Vista laptop. Directly without any router or modem or anything.

I put a fixed IP on both the xbox and my PC (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2). Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

When testing it says:

Network Adapter ----- Wired
IP Address ------------- Confirmed
PC selected ------------ Failed

So far so good I guess since I haven't done annything with the PC yet.

In xbox I go to Media > Media Center (it searches but can't contact PC). I press "Y" (Set up a new connection)
I select "Windows Media Center" (it checks network). And I get the message that my console didn't obtain an IP adress from my DHCP server!! Why would he say this, since the IP is set up manually? Anyway, I hit "continue", and get the 8 digit "setup key".

Now I open Media Center on the PC. And it actually finds the xbox!! And he asks if I want to configure it now? Of course I want. I hit "Yes" and then "Next" and he asks for the 8 digit code. I put in the code and hit "next". It tells me that I have at least one extra firewall in adition to the windows firewall. That is correct and I have already opened all the ports that I should. I hit "next" again a couple of times and both the PC and the Xbox starts to try contacting eachother. After some time the PC gives up as tells me something is wrong.

Of course I have also tried to turn both the firewalls completely OFF.

I would be EXTREMELY gratefull if somebode actually had the time to read all this, and I would be in dept for life to the person who might help me solve this problem?

I'm having the exact same problem. I think that Windows Media Center extender doesn't work anymore if you are using a static IP address. I have spent so much time on this it is driving me crazy. Xbox Live and Media Sharing through the dashboard works fine, I pass all the tests, but Windows Media Center refuses to work.

Edited by cool8man, 03 May 2008 - 08:09 PM.

Haplos_dog

Haplos_dog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know this is an old topic, and I am sorry to revive it, but I am having mucho trouble networking my PC with my XBox360.
I am thinking it is more my PC than anything else because I have allot of issue trying to connect it to other PCs as well.
But currently what I am looking at doing is getting my PC and 360 to communicate and share media.
I have tried the troubleshooting page at xbox and it is no help. So I am here.
Both PC and 360 are connected to a Linksys router, both can get online, but cannot see the other. My PC is XP SP3 (where the info at xbox pcsetup mentions XP SP2 but not SP3.... I am running WMP11 and have sharing activated in WMP but it sees no other computers or devises on the network (have the 360 and a laptop on the same network). I have WMP running and try to connect using the 360 and it cannot find my PC.
I have my PC set to a static IP out of the normal range the router is set for, so that it will always keep the allowed ports open when everything is rebooted instead of me needing to go back into the router every time to change the IP number after the router or PC has been rebooted.
The 360 is running the new firmware and software, not the old dashboard.
I am at my wits end on this. If you all can help me out I would very much be thankful.
HD

Haplos_dog

Haplos_dog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
nobody has any ideas?

steel1943

steel1943

• Pip
  • 2 posts

XBOX 360 SETUP AND CONFIGURATION

...4. *DO NOT GO TO THE “SYSTEM TAB” TO SEARCH FOR YOUR COMPUTER AS IT WILL NOT LOCATE IT – I SPENT HALF A DAY REMOVING FIREWALLS, ROUTERS, AND SECURITY PROGRAMS***...

...Though this is a VERY old topic on this forum, I know that if I am looking up this information on a search engine, such as Google, and could not find any answers for this concern, I need to find the answer. The reason why this question eneds to be answered is due to the fact that if you are wanting to play music while you are playing a game, you cannot do that with Windows Media Center open on your XBOX 360; you need to have the connection from the PC to the XBOX 360 in working condition. Well, good news folks...

I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER!!!

If you would rather just go to Microsoft's official page to get the answer, I'll point you in the right direction: http://support.xbox....rkhelp_mcx.aspx

And if you would rather just have the list of additional ports that need to be opened on your computer's firewall, here is the list:

* TCP ports 3390, 3932, and 5555.
* UDP ports 1900, 3776, and 7777.

With these ports open, enjoy the glory of being able to listen to music from your computer on your XBOX 360 while playing a game!!! :)

Edited by steel1943, 08 February 2010 - 10:17 PM.

pantura

pantura

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks  :yes: