Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Active Directory will not open after Server 2003 repair

• Please log in to reply

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I had a 180 trial version of windows server 2003 enterprise edition. In order to upgrade it to a full version, I ran a windows repair and entered my valid full license key. It worked... that is until I opened active directory and got this message...

Microsoft Management Console
MMC cannot open the file c:\windows\system32\dsa.msc
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access right to the file.

I get the same message for Domains and trusts and sites and services.
The file does exist, I am an administrator and the file has administrator rights set to full control. So it seems that the problem could be that it was created by a later version of MMC. I would appreciate and help in resolving this problem.

Edited by Andybikecrazy, 21 August 2007 - 02:32 PM.

Advertisements

Andybikecrazy

Andybikecrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I finally figured out the problem.... when I did the repair I used a server 2003 disc that did not have service pack 2. After I ran windows updates and installed service pack 2, AD worked.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad you got it working! was gonna ask about the SP status because they updated MMC in sp2 i believe