Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply

laura91

laura91

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
hi i get a message telling me boot failure press any key to continue, earlier it was saying bootmgr is missing but i managed to get get rid of that but now its saying boot failure and wont go away. i didnt make recovery disks, is there anyway i can reboot my computer from scratch? or fix it atall? my netbook is an advent 4211 xp. i've also ran hard drive checks and everything seems to be ok. i dont know if its maybe to do with the order of my boot options or that aswell? as i have been trying a few things that i've read. i also have hirens all in 1 bootcd 10.0

thanks

Edited by laura91, 22 October 2009 - 01:44 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi laura91

A few suggestions.
Have you looked in the bios to see what the boot order is?
Is the hard drive shown in the bios?

To enter bios, it is usually esc, del, F1, F10. It will usually show on the screen as you boot up.

laura91

laura91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yes i've put my hard drive first then its network and i disabled the other 2. i have tried arranging them all different ways but nothing different happens?
i cant remember the order they were in before i had changed them all round though. i'm sure there were four things under the boot opitons.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Recovery Console from my list of links below and burn it to a CD. Please note that it's an ISO file and should be burnt with a program that supports ISO burning (You can download BurnCDCC from my links. It's a small, very simple program, used for burning ISO files).

Change boot order in the BIOS to make the CD drive first priority boot device.

Boot with the new CD in the drive. After driver loading you will be given three options how to proceed. Choose R to run Recovery Console. When asked for Windows installation - type 1 and press Enter. When asked for password - enter your administrator password or press Enter if you don't have any. At the cursor type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let the process run through all its stages. It can be a lengthy process, depending on the hard disk size and condition.

laura91

laura91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
thanks, i've had easy bcd before but is that not for vista?

laura91

laura91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
sorry just ignore that

laura91

laura91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
i've ran this disk and let it load but it came up loading windows files or something then straight after that i got a blue screen saying " a problem has been detected and windwos has been shut down to precent damage to your computer. if this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:
check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drive or drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. run chkdsk /F to check yur hard drive for corruption, and then restart your computer.

technical information
*** STOP: 0X00000007B (0XF7A9463C, 0XC00000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I havent installed anything new , my hard drive works ok and ive ran chkdsk before but nothing works?

i think its something to do with partition #105 missing maybe? i ran a programme which told me that partition is missing?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Started a new topic so I am moving this here for everyone.

if i overwrite my disk drive would that start it from scratch? as it seems to be pretty corrupt possibly?

thanks

Closing other topic so there is no confusion.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you actually boot from the CD?
Did you get the message "to boot from CD hit any key"?

If you booted from the CD, it will start to load some drivers.
You should see the following.
[attachment=35258:Entering..._Console.jpg]

Then continue with chkdsk /r. Note the space between the k and /.

laura91

laura91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
no that didnt come it up i got the blue screen and at the bottom it was loading files but then i just got the blue error message as above saying about the viruses and stuff?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It hasn't been suggested, but have you tried safe mode?

laura91

laura91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yeah i cant get into anything like that.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The eroor message that you get ("viruses and stuff") can be the result of a faulty hardware or software, and we must find the root cause.

Answering your question: the disk can be formatted and windows reinstalled. For this you need a legal copy of windows (either in the form of a CD or installed in a hidden partition on the hard disk). You will probably have to install some drivers and, in addition, all the applications that you want to run. Not as bad as it sounds. If you go for that, backup your data first.

All the above is meaningless if the hardware is faulty.

Make your CD drive first priority boot device and boot the computer with Hiren's CD. There are many tools integrated into the disk. Run a memory test for about 30 minutes(memtest86 or microsoft's tool) and a complete scan of your hard disk. If you know the make of your hard disk then choose the appropriate tool. If not, and if you can't find out, try the tools one after the other until the correct tool is found. The memory test must show no errors. The hard disk test should pass. If there are errors that have been corrected that's ok. If the test fail then the hard disk must be replaced.

laura91

laura91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
thats great hanks. i'll run it later and let you know how i get on