Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot.ini Removed by "Normal" Restart of Windows [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cmcrgl

cmcrgl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Dear Cruise,

Thank you for your patience and your assistance in dealing with the boot issue.

The last message you sent looked like a pre-packaged sign off; however, there is still one issue remaining with the computer in question. Our repair seems to have turned off at least some of the automatic power control functions in windows. When one shuts down the machine now, it does not turn off at the end of the log off but shows the screen with the legend, "It is now safe to turn off your computer," which one must do manually by pressing the power switch. Would you have any suggestions on how to go about restoring the "soft" power off?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi Cruise is experiencing some ISP problems at the moment so I will be looking after you

Try this, try to shutdown your computer then open event viewer:

To run the Event Viewer do Start > Run type EVENTVWR.MSC then press Enter

See if there's anything for when you tried to shutdown your pc.

If you see something in event viewer about "user" and "hive"

then download and install this:

http://www.microsoft....displaylang=en

If not we shall try something else

cmcrgl

cmcrgl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Essexboy,

Thank you for the information and the procedures. I am currently involved in another project, getting my name on the ballot to run for state rep here in Ohio. The deadline for submitting my petitions is Thursday afternoon. That hurdle past, I will return on Friday to the final steps in the repair and cleanup of my nephew's computer.

I just wanted you to know why there would be a gap in my responses.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem thank you for keeping me informed :)

cmcrgl

cmcrgl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Essexboy,

Running EVENTVWR.MSC does not reveal any particular events or errors nor the words "hive" or "user" in any of the logs available occurring near or at the time of shutdown. Is there any particular place I should be looking that I may have missed. When I run EVENTVWR.MSC, I am given 4 categories of events from which to choose, viz: Application, Security, System, and Internet Explorer. Is there one in particular I should search for "hive" or "user"?

I guess it may be time to try the next thing.

Thanks for your help.

cmcrgl

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It would be in either system or applications - I will search now for another solution

cmcrgl

cmcrgl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK. I await your reply.

cmcrgl

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi apologies for the delay - but it seems it may be an API problem or the motherboard no longer allowing that shutdown. Still searching

cmcrgl

cmcrgl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK. I'm standing by.

Looking at a few similar posts (involving the Ask toolbar and some combination with Explorer or a Peer to Peer client leading to the loss of boot.ini) it seems that this turnoff problem is a side effect that has occurred on other occasions. However, I can't locate any solutions cited after the problem was noted.

Let me know what you think we should try next.

cmcrgl

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi I have run out of ideas - however if you post in the XP forum where the real experts are in this are, and then post the link here I will get one of the Techs on the case. But you are now malware free

Advertisements

cmcrgl

cmcrgl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Essexboy and Cruise,

Thank you so much for your assistance in getting rid of the malware. I will take your advice and check the XP forum for assistance with the "soft off" problem. The machine is working once again, and that is the main thing. Having to turn it off by the switch is an inconvenience, but I'm sure we will find a way round it.

cmcrgl

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you could post the link of your new thread here, I will bring it to the attention of the Techs and follow it myself :)

cmcrgl

cmcrgl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Essexboy,

Thanks for your continued interest. As per your request, I post here a link to the new thread I just started in the Windows XP forum on the "power down" issue:

Forum post on loss of "soft" shutdown

cmcrgl

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have asked the techs to take a look :)

If no further problems from the malware side I will close this thread tommorow

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Artellos has taken the case - you are now in good hands :)