Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Braviax.exe and cru629.dat and etc keep coming back #2 [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

flyav

flyav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you this time. But I had another computing emergency over the weekend, seems like problems always come in bunches. But now it looks like my desktop is fried, whenever I start it up it says it can't boot and needs the system disc, it also is making a loud clicking noise. From what I researched online it probably means that my hard drive is fried. The computer is 7 years old so at this point it not worth fixing especially if all my data is already lost.

But back to the issue at hand I just went to the update site and it is trying to install Windows XP service pack 3. It says it is already downloaded but when I click to install it comes back with an error saying the following updates could not be installed within a couple of seconds. The last time I tried manually updating was before my first post and at that time it ran for a while before coming back with an error about the registry keys, you can check out my first post for the description.

Thanks for your continued attention let me know what my next step should be
Thank You

Advertisements

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
You may need your XP disk for this part.

Lets now check the veracity of your files:
  • From the Start menu, select Run.
  • In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
  • Select the OK button.
  • Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
  • Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.
Let me know of any problems experienced.

flyav

flyav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK I ran the program and it prompted me for my Windows XP Professional CD2 so that "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache."

I looked around for the CDs and finally found them. It turns out they are Recovery Discs, I tried inserting both of them but it said they were the wrong CDs. I am assuming all the files I need are on the discs is there any way we can copy them from there.

Also should I turn on all my real time protection and automatic scans now? because I have had them turned off since we started working on this.

Thanks

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
Yes, you can turn on your protection.

I wasn't looking for any certain files. I was running that so that it could analyze and determine if you needed any files replaced.

I'm going to give you my closing speech because I believe you are malware free. At this point, I'm going to have to get you to post the remaining problem in the Windows XP forum here. Those guys are really good at restoring functionality. When you post there, insert a link to this topic so that they can see what all has already been done :)

Well done! Your log appears clean! :)

------------------
Step 1:
------------------

We're almost done. We need to do some clean up and get you on your way.

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image
(This will remove all restore points to rid your machine of saved infected files and create a new restore point)

------------------
Step 2:
------------------

We need to remove all the tools that you have used. This is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions.

• Run OTL.exe
  • Click the Clean Up button in top right corner.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. Choose Yes.
Now delete any logs that you have left over on your desktop.

------------------
Step 3:
------------------

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Note: It is a good idea to run TFC to clear out all your temp files every now and again. This helps to keep your computer running more efficiently. It also can assist in getting rid of files that may contain malicious code that could re-infect your computer.

------------------
Step 4:
------------------

It is very important that you get all of the critical updates for your Operating System and Internet Explorer. Keeping your OS and browser up to date will help make you less susceptible to attacks by Trojans and viruses. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats. Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vunerable.

Please go to Microsoft's Windows Update and download all the critical updates to help prevent possible re-infection.

It is best if you have these set to download automatically.

Automatic Updates for Windows
  • Click Start.
  • Select Settings and then Control Panel.
  • Select Automatic Updates.
  • Click Automatic (recommended)
  • Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a good time to set up protection against further attacks. Read our How Did I Get Infected In The First Place?. You need an antivirus that is continually updated, a good firewall, a spyware blocker, and a real time spyware program to prevent malware intrusions. Be very wary with any security software that is advertised in popups or in other ways. They are not only usually of no use, but often have malware in them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti Spyware

Anti Spyware helps to eliminate certain types of infections. I would recommend getting these and running the scans at least twice a month. Also a real-time protector is beneficial to stop infections before they start. SpywareGuard is an excellent choice here.
  • Posted ImageSUPERAntiSpyware is a powerful tool that can eliminate nasties that make it onto your machine.
  • Posted ImageSpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place. A tutorial can be found here.
  • Posted ImageSpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute. A tutorial can be found here.
Note: If you find your system slows down after installing any of these, just uninstall it, or disable it from running at startup.

Safer Web Browser

Internet Explorer is not the most secure tool for browsing the web. It has been known to be very susceptible to infection, and there are some good free alternatives:
All are faster, safer, more powerful and functional free alternatives to Internet Explorer. It's definitely worth the short period of adjustment to start using one of these.

If you choose FireFox, here are a couple of addons that I recommend:
  • NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor - this tells you whether the sites you are about to visit are safe or not. A must have if you do alot of Google searches.

Other Recommendations

FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated. Its important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.

Take Care and Happy Surfing! :)

flyav

flyav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I really hope I am malware free. Would you say its safe to hook up my new hard drive to this computer now, or should I wait until I get the updates all figured out?

Thanks for all your help you really saved the day. At least I still have 1 working computer funny thing is its not the one I would of guessed last week. I really do appreciate all the attention you put into my problem. Be well

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
There is never a 100% guarantee, especially with today's infections. They are really getting smart at hiding. But I believe you to be malware free at the moment :)

Unless you are in a hurry to hook up the drive, I would let our great techies guide you through getting the updates going first. I will be out of town for the next few days so I hope all goes well. Good Luck! :)

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.