Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi there,

I am using Window XP Profession and recently i can't seems to open up my device manager (Start->My Computer->Hardware->Device Manager).

It pop up a message "Windows cannot find 'mmc.exe.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

Note: I do not have the Win XP disc coz my friend DIY this com for me.

What i have done myself:
-Reboot my com (Doesn't work)
-tried Start->Run->devmgmt.exe (popped up the same message)

Can you please help me solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Note: I do not have the Win XP disc coz my friend DIY this com for me.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Device manager is located at: start/control panel/system/hardware tab/device manager

Also....start/run and type in "devmgmt.msc

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
okie i tried start/control panel/system/hardware tab/device manager, same emessage popped up.

when i try start/run and type in "devmgmt.msc, a window pops up. Attachment below.
which should i select?

Attached Files

• Attached File  0001.bmp   324.9KB   953 downloads

Edited by Josh Hau, 17 August 2008 - 11:46 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to Kelly's Korner. Go to line no. 107, on the right. Click the link and follow the installation instructions that are written at the top of the page.

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i have followed your instruction to install "devicemanagerrestore.reg". After i reboots my com and tried to open device manager again. The win message still persist as usual.

Edited by Josh Hau, 17 August 2008 - 02:49 PM.

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
anymore more clue to solving this?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I understand you don't have XP CD but I am afraid you must get one, of the same version, even if borrowed, to run further processes.

Placed the CD in the drive and click Exit when windows show up. Click Start > Run. In the command line type sfc /scannow (please note the space in the command) and press Enter. The computer will start now a long process of repairing corrupt or missing files. Let it run to the end.

Josh Hau

Josh Hau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Skeptic,

My problem is solved. Thx. I contacted my friend who DIY my com and he transfer the missing mmc files to me thru TeamviewerQs. He said that i accidentally deleted the file somehow.

Well, i remember i read from somewhere that some spyware or norton actually delete these files from system32 because of threat risk or something like that. Or may i did accidentally delete it. Anyway its ok now.

Thx for your prompt reply tho

Regards,
Josh

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. Well done.

harlon

harlon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My appologies for digging up an old thread but i noticed this was the exact problem i was having and all other forums have been stumped

after i enter sfc /scannow the windows file protection window appears and tells me its verifying all protected files are intact .....

now when the machine reboots i get no option of how to boot (cd or hdd) instead the machine automaticaly boots from the XP installation disc without me telling it to and from there there is no obvious method to fixing the problem as i do not want to overwrite the install i currently have loosing all my user created files etc

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take the cd out and reboot. The cd is not needed once the sfc is done

harlon

harlon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Once the scan has finished the system automatically reboots itself.. so in that time peroid i need to eject the win XP disc and then when the system boots up the process will continue?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes because if not then it boots to the cdrom instead of the hard drive

harlon

harlon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Nope this stll didnt manage to fix the problem, device manager still wont open.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I take it you have a Genuine Microsoft Xp cd you are using?
We can try a Repair Installation which will keep you data intact while fixing the OS system itself.