Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open device manager or other computer utilities!

• Please log in to reply

blackflame1105

blackflame1105

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Whenever i try to open device manager, disk defragmentor, or other mcc files i get an error. Looks like this:

Posted Image

I appreciate any kind of help you can give me! Thanks!

(iv'e tried sfc /scannow btw it didnt work =( )

Edited by blackflame1105, 31 October 2005 - 12:37 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi blackflame1105...

Did you follow the system file check up with chkdsk? If not,
Click Start then Run and type chkdsk /r /f (Note the spaces before /r /f) and click "OK". This procedure is going to want to run on reboot so go ahead and type Y at the prompt and press "Enter" Reboot your machine. This might take a while depending on what it finds...Do Not interupt this operation!

If you get an invalid switch error, drop the /f.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1

blackflame1105

blackflame1105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hmm.. tried that. It said volume was clear. However, on boot up my mouse wouldent work. So i tried to reboot and it said "memory dump error"

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help btw!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
blackflame1105...

Click "Start" then click "My Computer"...On the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options"...Click the "Offline Files" tab...Select the Enable Offline Files check box, and then click "Ok". Reboot and try to open Device Manager.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 31 October 2005 - 10:17 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
blackflame1105...

If the previous "workaround" doesn't work, Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1