Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to Linksys

• Please log in to reply

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I was able to connect to linksys on my wireless network before. however, now i cannot. an error message comes up that reads: The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.
What is this? how can i connect to linksys? i want to connect to the internet wirelessly.
thank you :)

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Sounds like your security settings have changed

Login to your Linksys router by putting 192.168.1.1 in IE / Firefox etc then view your wireless settings. These settings MUST be the same on ALL client machines.

Regards

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Sorry, I do not understand
What do I have to do exactly? Please elaborate...
How do I login to my router? How do I make them all the same?
Thanks

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Sorry, I do not understand
What do I have to do exactly? Please elaborate...
How do I login to my router? How do I make them all the same?
Thanks

Hi There

Sorry I was a bit vague.

OK lets take this step by step

Click Start then All Programs

Look for Internet Explorer (IE) and open it
In the address bar, where you type a web address, please type:
192.168.1.1 and press Enter

You should now be presented with your Linksys Router login page.

Have a go at that and let me know if thats what you get.

Regards

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It says

192.168.1.1 - Linksys Router Default IP Address
The IP address 192.168.1.1 is the default for Linksys brand home broadband routers. ... 192.168.1.1 is a private IPv4 network address. ...compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/g/192_168_1_1_def.htm - Cached
192.168.1.1 is IP address used by several router manufactureres as default ... http://192.168.1.1 also usually contains web-interface that controls router's ...192-168-1-1.org - Cached
What is 192.168.1.1?
... as LinkSys routers, use 192.168.1.1 as their default IP address. ... 192.168.1.1 is officially defined in RFC 1918: Address Allocation for Private Internets: ...www.tech-faq.com/192.168.1.1.shtml - Cached
[PDF] 192.168.1.1
1598k - Adobe PDF - View as html
192.168.1.1 , and then press the "enter key". A login dialog box will appear asking ... (Note: Change the IP address of the router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1) ...www.cdrking.com/download/encore/ENHWI-G2/digitel.pdf
What is 192.168.1.1 Exactly?
This IP 192.168.1.1 is the default Internet Protocol (IP) address for most of ... However this IP 192.168.1.1 address is usually not recommended as there are ...www.ezinearticles.com/?What-is-192.168.1.1-Exactly?&id=2266951 - 54k - Cached
unable to connect

Edited by nicolecolgate, 10 June 2009 - 04:07 PM.

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Can you click Start then Run and in the run box type cmd then press Enter

Once the black command prompt opens type: ipconfig

then press Enter

regards

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Nicolecolgate,

The information you presented looks like the results of a Google search. Normally, you would enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, i.e., the part where you would normally have a web address such as http://www.geekstogo.com. Erase that address and enter 192.168.1.1, and then hit enter. You should get a login screen.

However, I'm going to repeat what a staff member has told you in another thread - you need to finish your malware topic with BHowett. Because you have malware, it may be interfering with your wireless connection. Until your computer has been declared clean, it's difficult to help you with other issues. It's also not fair to our staff to open multiple topics about different issues at once, as the advice given on one issue could conflict with another. Please observe the rules of our forum by sticking with one topic at a time. At this point, the malware topic takes precedence.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It doesnt give me a login page
When I type that in and press enter it searches that link for me... it automatically searches it in yahoo or something
I do not have malaware on this computer. This is a different computer than the one that I was infected with.
Thanks

What does it mean when you try to connect to the wireless network and it says this:
The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.
There is also a red X next to it
I have never seen this before

Edited by nicolecolgate, 11 June 2009 - 08:25 AM.

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

It doesnt give me a login page
When I type that in and press enter it searches that link for me... it automatically searches it in yahoo or something
I do not have malaware on this computer. This is a different computer than the one that I was infected with.
Thanks

What does it mean when you try to connect to the wireless network and it says this:
The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.
There is also a red X next to it
I have never seen this before

Hi There

By the looks of things you are not connecting to your router but it is strange that a search page is being displayed, so you must be connecting to something.

What was your output from ipconfig?

Regards

Edited by datarunner, 12 June 2009 - 03:21 AM.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
What does that mean?
How do i find out?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
nicolecolgate,

Please read Post #6 and follow the directions there.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
When i do the ipconfig thing, a black screen pops up and then immediately closes by itself.