Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow, possible driver issue

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I tried posting this in the Internet section and recieved very little help. I'm led to believe now that my issue could be a problem with the drivers. I run Windows XP SP 3. I can not open/launch IE8, Firefox, Opera, or Google Chrome. I can open IE 7 but it will stall, freeze, and frequently say "IE can not open this page". MSN Explorer seems to run just fine. I have an ACER Travelmate 2480 and went to ACER.com to try and update stuff, but I'm not sure what will ruin my computer and what won't, or what I actually need to d/l. I need some help bad! I am on line now and will check back periodically to be walked through whatever is suggested. Otherwise, I will check again tomorrow.

I wanted to add that it was suggested I get a DriverScanner, but I'm afriad to waste the money. Any suggestions with that?

Edited by butterrice, 05 February 2010 - 11:17 PM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Butterrice? and sorry to hear that your ACER is internet challenged..

Drivers do not stop internet browsers from working, (unless its the networking devices that allow you access to the internet). What anti-virus or spyware / malware programs are you running? I just had a client whose internet was only opening some pages but not all. I traced it to a trojan and its now happy opening any page I choose... :)

You also may want to check your defrag status and error check your hard drive...

Hope this helps...

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Thank you for responding. I currently have Microsoft Security Essentials (used to have McAfee, should I go back?) that is on all of the time. About every two weeks I will run Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, and Ad-Aware. I also check my defrag and empty temp files. None of these show any problems. Why is it I can't launch the new IE8 browser, but I can launch IE7 but it freezes, or won't display pages? When I try other browsers like Opera or Google Chrome, they won't lauch either. They are clearly on my computer, but won't open.

Thanks for your help, I hope to resolve this soon! (would it help to have a driver scanner or is that a complete waste of time?)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
butterrice,

I am not sure how you can have IE 7 and IE 8. IE8 is an upgrade from IE7. Once you upgrade, IE7 is no longer available. To get IE7 back you would have to uninstall IE8.

What are you using to connect to the internet? Is it wired or wireless?
Generally a driver issue with respect to your internet connection will take out all of the browsers.

You indicate that " I can not open/launch IE8, Firefox, Opera, or Google Chrome."
Do you get any error codes?
What exactly happens when you try to open them?
Have you installed any new hardware or software?
Do you use a router?
Do you use a modem?

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

123runner

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Hi 123Runner! To answer your questions: I was advised to upgrade to IE8 from IE7(in the web browser forum) when IE7 began not displaying pages and freezing. When I upgraded to IE8, it would not open/launch at all. So I uninstalled it and went back to IE7, still the same problems. I then D/L Opera, Firefox, Google Chrome to see if they would work - they too would not launch. I do not get any error messages. All I do is double click as usual on the desktop icon - the hourglass will pop up for about 2secs then stop and nothing ever opens. However I can open MSN Explorer and IE7 but both have stalling issues and won't display webpages right away. I am on a wireless router through AT&T broadband and I have not installed anything new (except last night I did a few driver updates. The problem I'm having though has been going on for about two weeks).

Here are the results from Device Manager:
1. Red X - Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family (under Display Adapters)

2. Yellow Exclamation - Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-# Fast Ethernet Controller (under Network Adapters)

3. Red X - Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus

4. Yellow Exclamation - Mtp Device (under Portable Devices)

Thanks for your help!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You are missing some very important drivers.

Be right back with some links to the drivers.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What you need is HERE.

Choose Chipset driver Intel

Then choose Lan Driver Marvel

Unzip each to where you can find them (separate folders on desktop) and then run the setup.exe file

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - I tried to d/l the chipset from the site indicated using IE7 and I got an error message stating "Internet Explorer cannot download...r%20Intel%208.0.0.1009.zip from ftp.work.acer-euro.com. The operation timed out."

So I tried to d/l it from MSN Explorer and got the same message.

I did not attempt to d/l the Lan.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If the browsers won't connect, then you have to download to another computer, place it on a flash drive, and then move it to the failed unit.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I tried a second time to d/l from the browser and was able to get both. I set up the chipset, but the LAN doesn't have a set up option. When the unzipped LAN file is opened the following folders are present: yk51x86.cat, yk51x86s.htm, yk51x86.inf, yk51x86.sys, yk51x86.txt.

The TXT folder tells you to find the driver you want in Device Manager and hit update, but I don't see yk51x86 listed or even LAN Driver Marvel. Is it the Marvel that had the yellow exclamation?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

2. Yellow Exclamation - Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-# Fast Ethernet Controller (under Network Adapters)

Hit update on that driver and point it to the folder that you unzipped the files to.
It will probably pick the inf file.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay - both d/l's are done. Marvel no longer has the yellow exclamation, but the other three are still the same. Should I upgrade those too?

Edited by butterrice, 06 February 2010 - 04:25 PM.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
well here we are about 6 hrs later and Marvel has the yellow exclamation again. UGH! I tried to update the other drivers, and they come back saying there isn't an update better then what I have. Any suggestion? Thanks for the advise so far.

Edited by butterrice, 06 February 2010 - 08:31 PM.