Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing problem (hard one to figure out)

• Please log in to reply

Chimpy

Chimpy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello fellas, how is it going? my desktop is giving me grief for couple days now and i been reading posts left and right but nothing seems to be working. My PC specs are:

Microsoft Windows Xp Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1700MHz
1.69 GHz, 512 MB of Ram

Primary HD 37.2 GB
Slave HD 62.7 GB

Brand Name: Cicero

The problem is that i am not sure what it is? I will try to do my best to explain.....
The computer froze couple of times when the computer turned on normally after about 30 minutes.....but then it wouldnot make it to the welcome screen ...then i had to enable VGA mode...then that did the same thing ie. logged on normally but then freezing occured, after that i had to use safe mode and safe mode with networking to log on.....because sometimes the Safe mode with networking didnt work.....

now i had done a lot of snooping to see what some of the solutions were given to other people. this is what i have tried so far
- updated my graphic device driver
- prefetch and delete , disc cleanup, chkdsk /f /r
- used CCleaner utility
- used jv16 power tools for registry clean up
- tried few times to restore the computer to 2 days ago because that was the only restoration point i had, but it also did the same thing and the weird thing was that after i wanted to do restore again it was gone....it said that i had no restore points.
- Also when i was in safe mode one time.....i made a new user account {NEW ACCOUNT} that was also the admin beside the Admin and the one i had with my name Hunter. I used that acccount for CCleaner utility and the jv16 powertool.

***now here is what i want the most ....more than this computer ....i have some important folders on Desktop within the user account HUNTER and when i peek through the folder from safe mode from {NEW ACCOUNT} there is hardly anything besides few programs ......and my desktop was almost full and even though there were some shortcuts ...the home for those folders was the desktop.
also my HD space also became like 10 gigs higher and i didnt delete anything and i am not sure but i doubt that registry cleaner or CCleaner wiped that much of the hard drive.
&&&& not wanting to give up i kept restarting the computer and one time i let it boot up normally and it toook me to welcome screen with two users HUNTER and {NEW USER} .......when i clicked on HUNTER it loaded good and the thing that i was afraid of was true.....desktop was a graveyard folders gone except few of them but still useless because they were empty.
####almost wanted to cry because i dont have a full backup of everything

What should i do? is there any hope of recovering that data that i lost because I need it for my University and the classes are starting in about 1 week , so please anyone who has an answer ....make an effort to post it and i will pay it forward!

===after seeing what was left on that desktop i was fooling around and i changed the resolution to something after 800 X 640 the computer froze again and its doing the same thing everytimes i restart now.
AND just to top that off i cant log in to safe mode or smode with networking because the computer reboots by itself and it goes in a cycle ...............

what do you make of this ......the option i have was to restore the computer but i WANT recovery....so i want to hold off on that. am i fudged?orwhat?

thanks again .....everyone!

Advertisements

Chimpy

Chimpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
bump once!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Bumping makes it look like you've gotten a reply, and makes it more likely that you will be skipped. However in this case, I was looking for the most recent posts right when you did it. :whistling: A much better idea would be to post in The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days.

Now, for your problem:

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

Chimpy

Chimpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hello and thanks kindly for replying:
the given suggestions could not be carried out due to the computer not being able to boot all the way to the windows, it freezes after the microsoft windows loading screen where the thing move in the bottom left to right. after that i cant go no where.
i went out and bought 2 things a new harddrive and a Hard Drive Enclosure.

and Please help if you know the following:
i want to take my main HDD from the computer that is being giving trouble stick it in to the enclosure and hook up with the USB to my laptop and copy everything from the enclosure HDD to the laptop. Also run the PC Inspector on that HDD to recover what i had lost (if you read my posT) and save that stuff as well too on to my laptop.,,,,,,!
Or, does the HDD that i stick into the enclosure has to be formatted and partitioned before working? because i tried encloser with the new HDD and laptop recoganized USB storage, but it didnt with the main HDD from the desktop computer. Please let me know ...what you know about this!

Lastly what iam thinking to do is this: the NEW HDD i will put into the old computer put windows XP onto it and make the old main HDD the slave and try to get the data that way out of it. What do you think...will it work or in this case i also have to format it before using?

All i want to do is to get all the data from that HDD but its not booting up from that.......so what do i do? its got like 10-15 gigs worth in to it. The stuff i really need is the mail old deleted and more from the outlook express, and much more

any help will be appericiated!
thanks guys :whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
im sure there are programs out there that you can get deleted mail..(out look express)

guess your saying you lost your hard drive if you reformatted it you may be able to get files back i think theres program for that to but you have to be on same hard drive when you use program

as for other complicated stuff computerwiz will figure out

Chimpy

Chimpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

im sure there are programs out there that you can get deleted mail..(out look express)

guess your saying you lost your hard drive if you reformatted it you may be able to get files back i think theres program for that to but you have to be on same hard drive when you use program

as for other complicated stuff computerwiz will figure out

what if i made that HD my slave HD and the use the new mastor HD to look into the slaved HD...and using whatever programs to extract the data from the slave to the new mastor HD.
The reaso i put it like this is because i think my old bootable HD is defective.,......thats the only thing i can think of otherwise why else would the computer freeze .............i checked the fans and its working fine i even opened up the side case as well and put a small fan next to the desktop so it stays cool.

again thanks for responding :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Whew, that's a lot of stuff you're askin. I think we gotta slow down a bit :blink:

the NEW HDD i will put into the old computer put windows XP onto it and make the old main HDD the slave and try to get the data that way out of it. What do you think...will it work or in this case i also have to format it before using?

That's a good idea, and probably the safest. Just don't have the old HD with you data in the computer when you get the new HD ready. The reason for this is just to avoid any accidents :whistling:

The NEW HD will have to be formatted first (since it is brand new), and then you can install XP on it. Once you have XP, you can put the old one (the one with your data) into the computer and get your files.

does the HDD that i stick into the enclosure has to be formatted and partitioned before working? because i tried encloser with the new HDD and laptop recoganized USB storage, but it didnt with the main HDD from the desktop computer. Please let me know ...what you know about this!

I have just gotten into external enclosures myself recently. I think that all you have to do is put the hard drive into the enclosure as a Slave, and it will work. You will NOT have to format or partition it. I know that for sure.

But try my above suggestion rather than the enclosure one, since I know that will work for sure.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 31 August 2006 - 11:04 AM.

Chimpy

Chimpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi and thanks for the reply:
i installed the new HDD and put windows onto it clean copy and it works , but the same problem of freezing is occuring like every ten minutes or so.....

i have installed speed fan and will post those jpeg soon.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, that means it must be a hardware issue.

I await the screenshot :whistling:

Chimpy

Chimpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi,attaching the screens

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Well...everything looks good there.

Download Stress Prime

After you download it, reboot into Safe Mode and then do the following:

Find Stress Prime (which you'll probably have to transfer it to the problematic computer after downloading it with another computer) and double-click on it (which opens the CAB that it is in) and drag the program to your desktop. Now you can run it. Click on the drop-down box at the top and select Large, in-place FFTs - stress RAM and click Start

If it detects a fatal error, it will stop automatically and then report it. Let me know if that happens.

Otherwise, stop the scan after about 30 minutes, and then in the window at the bottom, it will say if any errors/warnings were detected. Let me know what it says.

Also let me know if the computer freezes while in Safe Mode. If it does not, then it may be a video problem. If it does, then we'll continue checking your hardware.

Chimpy

Chimpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello and thanks kindly for your help

while I was in safe mode with networking..the computer did freeze while i was trying to download a update driver for my video card. I also have disable my graphic card ..just incase if there was a problem with that! :whistling:

now with the GO (stress prime) ...the scan ran for 1 min and 29 secs and it froze!
ran again and 10 seconds and it froze>>>>>>??
3 TIME I RAN & COMPUTER CRASED...MONITOR WENT TO ORANGE LIGHT.
what sucks is that I thought it was the HDD problem and its not.....and i could loose my data from old HDD if i cant recover it!

Edited by Chimpy, 31 August 2006 - 01:34 PM.

Chimpy

Chimpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello, I just want to let you know that I did some stuff and computer seems to be working ...it hasnt frozen in about 3 hours. what I did was this:

i took out the fan and it was really really dusty.....and i took the fan apart and removed all the dust and cleaned it thoroughly. at the same time I also took out the 256 DDR memory from one of its bank and left the original 256 that the computer came with into the other bank. I think the computer froze once after that but thats it. IT still seems to be working fine.
I also installed the other main HDD as a slave HD and now i am using the PC inspector file recovery to restore its stuff.

My main question is that...when i run PC inspector I see the deleted directory which has all the stuff thats been deleted and then some.
But what i need is the stuff that disappeared from the desktop...........is there a way to restore that HDD OR better yet any program i can use to help me get that stuff back!
again thanks a lot for your help...i really appericiate it!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool. Thanks for letting me know how you fixed it.

For your info that was on your desktop on the old hard drive, you will have to navigate to your desktop's location like this:

Your hard drive's letter --> Documents and settings --> Your user name --> Desktop

Let me know how it goes.

Chimpy

Chimpy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey thanks for the reply,

yeah i got my my desktop and found some of my stuff, but what i see is the stuff that i deleted, not the stuff that got wiped off :whistling:
is there a different program that will recover that stuff.
Also the computer started doing the same freezing up stuff like it did before after i tried installing some stuff on to it...even with the new HDD....i wasnt downloading from the web but just using flash drive. Anyways i got frustrated and went out a bought a new computer its a HP, i got a good price on to it...
now i have the old HD hooked into it and i can access whats in the HDD now....and i used the PC inspector to find the deleted file...which is there but not what i need ...because i need the files that i didnt delete and i looked in to the lost data files but its all bunch of garbage!
If anyone knows how to restore that HDD please HElp.
Again thanks for your help~!