Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Needs To Be Checked For Consistency?

• Please log in to reply

Hollz

Hollz

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hey! My computer crashed pretty badly this morning and started being slow ever since, then it restarted again, got to the Vista loading screen and never loaded, so I shut it down by pressing the button. When I turned it on a few minutes later...

"One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency," and it recommended I do this. So I allowed it to start and let it run..but it is now over 9 hours later, and it is still running and seems to be stuck at stage 2? It has been stuck at one or two "indexes" for a majority of the time and I don't know if it's really doing anything or not.

I looked around the internet and saw one post said it could take hours or days to run this, but another person was worried when it had been running for over 2 hours but they were at stage 3.

So anyways, I'm wondering if it could have frozen up and if I should shut it down with the button on the tower, or just keep letting it run? Anyone have any advice? I will also mention I had a faulty power supply a few weeks ago that I replaced, not sure if that's part of the problem or if it's the hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Leave it on at least until tomorrow morning.

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok thanks, really don't want to stop it if it IS doing something, but wasn't sure if it was frozen since it's been stuck at the same number for hours. Thanks!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Alright, I don't mean to be impatient or anything but..it's like 10 hours later again and it's still stuck on the same file. :)

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry for seeming desperate, but I am! So I rebooted my computer because there had been no change in like 9 hours. It managed to get to the desktop without too much issue. I moved the mouse around, hadn't clicked on anything, and it froze..I came back a few minutes later to a black screen with the loading icon on the mouse.

Do I need a new hardrive? Another part? Should I take it in somewhere to have it looked at/fixed? Ah!

Please help and thank you in advance!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You did fine by stopping chkdsk.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I won't have time to try this tonight, but for sure tomorrow. Just wanted to thank you SO much for getting back to me :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted.

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Turned my computer on this morning and it actually ran through the disk consistency check and completed in about 3 minutes (lol)

Happy that my computer is more functional now..I installed and ran the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics (it was the only thing compatible with Vista). I ran both a quick and extended check and it failed both times:

Quick:
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

Extended:
Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.

It tried to repair itself and an error popped up and said I should contact the company. So I have emailed them and can only wait now. At least I'm waiting on SOMETHING now. I know this doesn't say much, but I thought I'd ask in case you have any idea..might I need a new hardrive? And why might this problem have happened(in case it's my fault and I can prevent something like this in the future)? And is it vital that I limit use to my computer until I repair/replace the drive?

Thank you so much for the links and support, my computer is a lifeline to me and I feel desperate when it doesn't work right! REALLY appreciate it :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Errors 07, and 08 mean, that the drive will die at any moment.
Your only option is to replace the drive.
Back up your data right away.
After that, you can still use your computer until it'll say "No more" :)

There is nothing, you can do to prevent anything like this in the future.
Hardware just dies. Sooner, or later.
You have a back up, you're fine.
If you don't...

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
THANK YOU!

Just ordered a new drive as well as backed up my stuff onto my external.

Thank you so much for your help, it's nice knowing my computer is on its way to recovery again :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

danwat1234

danwat1234

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Extended:
Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.

It tried to repair itself and an error popped up and said I should contact the company. So I have emailed them and can only wait now.

The 'error was detected while repairing bad sectors' error on WD's diagnostic software, I have learned that running software called HDD regenerator (free on bittorrent) bootable CD on the drive effectively remaps those bad sectors or marks those bad sectors as bad.
The problem with my drive was that there were a few 'pending bad sectors' and a full read surface scan would not force the drive to remap these bad sectors, so I kept on getting new file corruption errors on chkdsk read-based surface scans every time. Chkdsk wouldn't mark the pending bad sectors as bad no matter how many scans I ran.

When I ran WD's windows diagnostic program (lifeguard diagnostics), it said 'error was detected while repairing bad sector' and the pending sector count was still there.
So It turns out that WD's diagnostic program does not do a write based surface test.
HDD regenerator fixed it right away. It takes a while to scan a large drive but now the drive works perfectly now. Before I thought I'd have to buy a new drive. Planned obsolescence? Their own diagnostic software ought to do everything an aftermarket diagnostic software can do...

Bottom line, use HDD regenerator to get rid of your pending bad sector count SMART attribute. Spinrite may be able to do it too but it's slower. Then it is possible to continue using your hard drive for a long time without error, unless the number of bad sectors is still growing.

But first of course, back up all the files you can.