Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloads are Stalling

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Changes made on my pc within the last few days around the time problem with downloading started:

*Uninstalled NIS 2005

*Replaced Norton with Avast, ZoneAlarm, and OnlineSafetyShield (Trial)

*Installed Trial of TuneUp Utilities 2006 (used this to fix a problem with digital camera software)

*Disabled OSS, still installed but disabled, had a few glitches with it.

Problem:

My Downloads are stalling they are getting to almost complete then just going nowhere. The animation is still going, but all the numbers stop. I have a DSL, not the best speed connection, but before this downloads were max 3 to 4 minutes for a 15mb file. Most recent attempt to download something was CyberPatrol 7.6 Trial and it got to 76% complete the first try and 63% the second.

After waiting forever, I finally click cancel, then try the download again and the download seems to pick right back up where it left off, (I always save to my desktop), after it completes, I go the the desktop try to install and an error message comes up:

The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again.

I'm so frustrated with all the problems that come along with changing my pc over to new software sometimes I wish I'd just renewed the Norton. If I could just get all the kinks worked out I'd be much less stressed.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
What browser are you using for downloading?

DS

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

What browser are you using for downloading?

DS

I'm using IE6 SP2.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I think I may have figured it out, FINALLY! I could be wrong of course, but anyway...

there's a feature in TuneUp Utilities called System Adviser; it analyzes your system then makes suggestions that you can follow to improve the over all performance of your pc. One of the suggestions it gave me was in IE/Tools/Internet Options/Settings/and on that page you can set the amount of space you'll allow for Temporary Internet Files.

TuneUp said this setting should be no more than 150mb, mine was set at over 2000mb, so I took TuneUp's advise and changed it. Today when I thought about that, I thought it certainly wouldn't hurt to try to change it back and see if that may help, so I did and I went to download CyberPatrol, really expecting the same old thing, but it went through without a hitch!

Like I said I don't know if this is it or not, but for now that seems to have worked!

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Try clearing your temporary internet files and all of your cookies. If you can download after doing that, your cache was probably full.

DS

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
:blink: I was wrong, it did not work. Well, I was able to finally download CyberPatrol, but it's back to its old tricks. I thought about starting a new thread, but didn't know if I should or not.

There is an Update for ZoneAlarm, 13mb, and it won't complete that download.

This time it's behaving a little different than in my first post. The download is not stalling anymore, it's completing, but it doesn't download the whole 13mb. One time I tried it got to 12.9mb!!! I've made sure that the temp files and cookies are all wiped out.

Please someone tell me what to do to fix this! I pray I don't have to do any kind of system restore!!!!

:whistling:

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Well, I tried system restore, and no matter what restore point I chose it would not accept it. It would always say, "...your computer cannot be restored to this point... no changes have been made."

I don't know what else to do. I'll try calling the telephone company on Monday, but really I doubt that will help. If it was the modem the problem wouldn't be confined to just downloading would it, I mean wouldn't any kind of internet access be affected?

Also, I don't know if I've mentioned this before but last time I tried I was able to download small files. Like I get stationary for Outlook Express from cloudeight.com, each file is less than 1mb and they download fine. It's only files that are on the larger side that this is happening. Like this update from ZoneAlarm, that I really need. I'll have to try one of those small ones just to make sure, but I believe I've downloaded them since this started.

If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free.

Thanks!

some dude

some dude

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I may be a little late, but whatever.
I had this same problem a week ago. But I was able to download certain smaller filee. Try following all the steps in the malware removal list here.

Also, you may not need to download and run everything. The one that solved the problem for me was SUPERAntiSpyware Home Edition. If you want, you can just get that and follow the steps on how to use that specific program instead of downloading and running all of them. If that doesn't work, try downloading and running all of them.

You can also read this topic here.

Travis Longley

Travis Longley

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
A quick small GREAT antivirus is avg. Download and run that. Download Here