Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitors not working - "NO SIGNAL"

• Please log in to reply

drpepper23

drpepper23

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I posted this in the Windows XP forum originally, but I am not sure if this is the correct place for this issue.

Hello,

I appreciate any advise that may come my way.

I am running Windows XP on a desktop. I recently bought an LCD TV and wanted to setup dual monitors.

My video card has on VGA slot and one DVI slot. As a result, I have one VGA cable connecting the initial monitor to my PC. I bough a DVI/HDMI cable and used that to connect my television to the computer.

When I go into Display Settings, Windows shows me a 2nd monitor and allows me to extend my desktop.

The ISSUE: the LCD TV ( 2nd monitor ) continues to say "NO SIGNAL" so that while i have the option to drag windows onto the 2nd monitor, they will not display.

I assume in this situation, the cable works fine since the connection is picked up, the video card is fine since it shows a 2nd monitor and has 2 slots...what can be the issue?

Please help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
don't post duplicate topics on the same issue...if it's in the wrong place one of us will move it

in the display settings...if you right click that second monitor is "attach" checked?

drpepper23

drpepper23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
yeah sorry about that.

yes, the attached option is checked.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the make/model of your graphics card? have you played around in the advanced settings? some graphics cards treat TVs as different animals than monitors

drpepper23

drpepper23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
nvidia geforce 5200

i have clicked into the advanced settings to change them, that did not appear to do anything. the samsung people said this has nothing to do with the tv, then said "you can't plug 2 monitors into 1 video card, it will fry your motherboard," the video card people said to direct questions to the manufacturer and dell said we dont care, you are no longer under warranty.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

"you can't plug 2 monitors into 1 video card, it will fry your motherboard,"

that's laughable at best.

what happens if you try to use the TV as your primary monitor (either unplug the monitor from the VGA port, or right click monitor two in the display properties and choose primary)

also...just to make sure...you do have the TV to show the right hdmi port correct?

drpepper23

drpepper23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well i've tried that. if i disconnect the vga monitor and restart, i gets screwed because windows loads, the tv maintains the no signal status and i have to shut off the extension cord to turn of the pc. same thing was needed when i set the tv as the primary monitor because while the tv still showed "no signal" the display properties and everything that i opened was "showing up" on the screen, but without a way to see it, (all i see is "no signal") i had to shut down the pc.

i know its the right hdmi connection, because depending on where i plug it in, and click on the source button on the tv, it will read it as either hdmi 1, 2, or 3

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried updating the drivers for the card? does the tv have a VGA port? do you have any other second monitor to test with?

drpepper23

drpepper23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well, i went to the site for the card and it downloaded something, i think that was the right update. the tv does work fine as a 2nd monitor via VGA with my laptop, i have not tried it yet with VGA with the desktop.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try using it as VGA from the desktop to make sure that it works...

does your monitor have a dvi port?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I know this might sound weird, but I ran into this a couple days ago at a business I do work for. It turned out, that one of the VGA cables must have been damaged. I swapped out the cable and everything worked perfectly. This isn't a Samsung TV, is it? Some of them require that you use a specific HDMI input when connecting a PC.

drpepper23

drpepper23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it is a samsung. but i am not using a vga cable to connect the television, the vga connects the monitor to the pc and works fine.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I guess I should have been clearer. I was saying that your cable could be faulty and it happened to me with a VGA cable. What model Samsung do you have? I've seen some of them that require you to use the HDMI 2 input when connecting a PC. Have you checked your manual to make sure that isn't the case here?

drpepper23

drpepper23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
if the cable was faulty then my pc wouldn't recognize the presence of the tv, or at least i don't think the cable is at fault.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I thought you were getting the "no signal" problem when connecting. I do see in one of your posts that you mentioned

the tv does work fine as a 2nd monitor via VGA with my laptop, i have not tried it yet with VGA with the desktop.

I just wanted to make sure you were using the same cable.