Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual booting Windows XP and DOS 6.22

• Please log in to reply

fsb1284

fsb1284

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello all:

I have the following setup now (see attached image). What does one have to enter into the boot.ini file in such a situation to get DOS and Windows XP to show up on the NT bootloader? Do dos boot file have to be modified?

I'm not afraid of editing these files (I've backed up my C;\ drive to an external HDD using Ghost-don't worry!), so lay it all on me :tazz:

The current C:\"MS-DOS" entry in the boot.ini doesn't work b/c the DOS partition is not C:\. I know this would be a lot easier if I were reinstalling WinXP, but that's an inconvenience I'd rather avoid.

Thanks,

fsb1284

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled_1.gif

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Dos should be the 1st thing you install then xp - much easier
Dual boot dos & xp

fsb1284

fsb1284

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
>>Dos should be the 1st thing you install then xp - much easier

I know, I know. But if you or anyone else reading this post knows of a way (even if it involves a lot of painstaking editing of *.ini files) to do this w/o a reload of XP I'd love to know. Reinstalling all my HW drivers and software would be an all-day project, at the least!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Is this any use
Please let me know either way.
Dual Boot

fsb1284

fsb1284

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
This doesn't really help me, but thanks very much for the link. I think I had better rephrase my question now that I've thought about it for a while...

Given my situation, is there any way to do manually (via editing the boot.ini/other files) what Windows XP's installer does when installing Windows XP after DOS? I am really racking my brain to figure out the "Why" in the rule of loading DOS before Windows XP, but I've yet to figure this out.

Many thanks for all help so far!

fsb1284

fsb1284

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Never mind...

I found VDM Sound, a nice DOS sound emulator that will let me hear my old DOS titles (like Wolfenstein 3D) in high-quality audio while running XP!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
This works for 98 can you juggle it for dos?