Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External harddrive - recognised as connected but not available to use

• Please log in to reply

Wheathampstead Brko

Wheathampstead Brko

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Right, just bought a 400Gig external harddrive thinking it would be a far easier option than faffing about formatting a second internal. Sadly I was wrong

I have tried using both USB ports I have but in both cases the hardware is recognised as existing (judging by the appearance of the 'safely remove hardware' option) but is nowhere to be seen on My Computer. The installation software is dire, simply giving me a host of free software options but nothing useful and giving a full user manual but insisting I need Acrobat reader 6.1 when I already have 7.0

The only issue I can see, and that I should have spotted before, is that the system requirements wants a Pentium-III or AMD Duron processor, I am on Celeron. I was under the impression that that was not usually an issue but it seems that I may have been mis-informed. All other requirements are met, shame on me if that is the problem

The hard drive is a Freecom 400GB 3.5''

System spec:

Late 2001
900MHz Celeron Processor
128KB Cache
256 PC100 168 pin RAM (from 128)
20GB HDD - pretty much full
Running XP

Edited by Wheathampstead Brko, 19 August 2007 - 10:17 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its most likely not formatted.
Is it seen in computer management?
Is it recognised in the bios?

Go to start/ control panel/ administrative tools/ computer management/ disk management an see if it is there.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its most likely not formatted.
Is it seen in computer management?
Is it recognised in the bios?

Go to start/ control panel/ administrative tools/ computer management/ disk management an see if it is there.

Wheathampstead Brko

Wheathampstead Brko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Got it working to some extent - it works if it is turned on during boot up, but to do so I need to turn it off for a few seconds of the system goes no further. If I turn it off/unplug it after that it doesn't work when put back on.

It claims to be pre-formatted but I'll have a look on CM after I've finished transferring all my music over. Shouldn't really have started that going and I don't dare stop it in case I accidentally copy something and lose everything! :whistling:

Edited by Wheathampstead Brko, 19 August 2007 - 11:00 AM.

Wheathampstead Brko

Wheathampstead Brko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Right, it is on CM and claims to be working just fine (screenshot) and it does work provided its on during boot-up but if I unplug it or turn it off I have to restart for it to work. As far as I know thats not right. Also from what I have seen from a mate who is running 3 externals it should have its own unique prefix (EG U:\...) but its using F:\ which is my USB. Thats probably gonna cause some referencing mix-ups

Could the issue be that it is on FAT32 not NTFS?

Can use it for now but its far from ideal and the sooner its sorted the less complications

Edited by Wheathampstead Brko, 20 August 2007 - 03:10 AM.