Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fax Viewer

• Please log in to reply

PannyDoll

PannyDoll

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to look at Pictures but when I try to view Faxes I get an Error Message.... The fax document cannot be displayed because your operating system does not have a default viewer for fax document (.tif files). I would appreciate some help as I have tried to fix this and cannot seem to figure it out..Help

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi PannyDoll! Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please explain the steps you're taking to get this error. Are you double-clicking the file? Or how are you trying to open it with Picture and Fax Viewer?

Right-click the .TIF file, choose "Open With", Choose Program.... If Picture and Fax Viewer is in the list, highlight it and click the box below that says "Always Use the Selected Program for this File Type".

Does that fix it?

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

I can use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to look at Pictures but when I try to view Faxes I get an Error Message.... The fax document cannot be displayed because your operating system does not have a default viewer for fax document (.tif files). I would appreciate some help as I have tried to fix this and cannot seem to figure it out..Help

It may be worth visiting http://www.ntwind.co...ee-version.html to download Winsnap 1.1.10.
I use the Portable zip version 144 KByte long.
This can create snapshots in various formats, including TIF, and it can open a file in one format and save it in another.
With this you could experiment to see if your Fax viewer can use Winsnap created *.tif files - if so it suggests that perhaps the fax files you are trying to read have a non-standard format. It would also allow you to convert one of your fax files into a different format that might be usable with your fax viewer.
If however Winsnap is unable to view your Fax documents then 2 out of 2 applications cannot view them, which makes it likely you have something corrupt or non-standard in your fax documents

nb Don't forget that regardless of file associations etc., you can always drag and drop a file from Windows Explorer into the Fax Viewer, and my quick test shows that you either get the picture, or if it cannot view it the error message "no preview available".

Regards
Alan_B

PannyDoll

PannyDoll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I fixed it by saving a Fax and then designating the Fax and Picture Viewer to open all of these types of Files....thanks

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad you got it worked out :whistling: