Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

alicekmom

alicekmom

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I originally posted in the Malware forum, but after doing many things, he sent me here. Here's a link so you can see the problem and what we've already tried.
http://www.geekstogo...ve-t264322.html
Thanks!
Alice

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first click on my computer...right click on the C drive and click on properties...
get a screenshot and post it back here...
how to post screenshot...go here...

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
http://www.mediafire.../i/?yimuwmoe0n2
http://www.mediafire.../i/?z5gmjitjnyz
Here's what I posted for Cruise over in malware. I am attaching the current C drive properties screenshot.
Thanks for your help!
Alice

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot_jan_13.JPG

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Is there anything else you need from me?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Alicekmom....
Do you do a lot of searching on the computer? if not, then go back to my computer...right click on the C drive and click on properties..
Un-check the "allow for faster indexing". This will speed up the overall operation of the computer.

In looking at the topic in malware, you already emptied the temp files so we will leave that alone for a while.

Have you gone in to the "add or remove" programs and un-installed all the un necessary programs?

Please download and install Treesize Free from my signature below. Install and run the program and the get a screen shot. Treesize free will show us what folders are the largest and might point us to an area where you have some data.

As a side note, you might not be able to clear much. It all depends on what programs you have/ need. You may have to upgrade to a larger hard drive.

I would also like you to download, install, and run Auslogics disk defrag from my signature. This is much better than the windows one.

123runner

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Whatever is taking up the hard drive is nothing that I want on there. As you can see from the screen shot, it shows that 10.5 GB are being used in the C drive. However, then it shows that only 8.72 of 55.8 GB are available. So what's taking up the rest of the space? And where is it hiding? I uninstalled all of the programs that were installed from the malware post, but somehow suddenly even more of my hard drive is taken than yesterday. I removed all pictures, files, and videos from my documents before I posted the first time and still have this problem - just not as bad as when only 2 GB were open.
Screenshot is attached.
Thanks,
Alice

Attached Thumbnails

• treesize_1_14.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Something is either not making sense because of a long day, or I am missing something.
"my computer" is showing C drive about 3/4 full.
Tree Size is showing about 10.5 gb on C drive with about 8.5 free. Its not making sense yet.

Lets look at something else.
Lets take a look at the drives and partitions.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in compmgmt.msc
Click on OK
On the left side under storage...click on disk management.
Take a screen shot showing the drives and partitions.

Attach it to your reply.

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Yes, it's quite a mystery. My computer is showing:
Free space 8.74 GB
Total Size 55.8 GB

Treesize shows 10.5 GB as the total space used on the C drive.

Screenshot attached of disk management.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• disk_mgmt_1_14.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I may guys.. there is a possibility it could be Bloatware or something like that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a few things come to mind...
check the paging/swap file size...set the minimum and maximum to 1.5 times the amount of installed ram
turn of hibernate in the control panel...
set the restore file size maximum to 1% or 500 MB...
no joy
try opening another user account...give it admin rights...then delete the old account and all its files when windows asks if you want to save the files.

Edited by happyrock, 14 January 2010 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Sorry - I am going to need specific instructions on how to do each of those steps! Thanks,
Alice

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first go here and get spacemonger..
after you've run it...get a screenshot and post it for us...
I will offline in less than a hour...I've going since about 4:30 AM...getting tired

Edited by happyrock, 08 February 2010 - 09:02 AM.

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
ok, got it - screenshot attached

Attached Thumbnails

• spacemonger.JPG

Edited by alicekmom, 14 January 2010 - 07:29 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
right click on my my computer...then properties...then advanced tab...in the performance section click on settings...then advanced tab...in the virtual memory section...click on change...highlite the C: drive...then put a tick in custom size...then in the initial size box put 1024...then in the maximum size box have him put 1024...then click on set...then click on OK...ok your way out...reboot...

next right click on my computer...restore tabclick on C: drive...then settings...move the slider down to the first notch...1% click on ok...ok your way out...reboot

if you don't use AOL to get on the internet (dial up)...go to add /remove programs in the control panel and uninstall anything related to AOL...

go to the power options in the control panel...click on hibernate tab...uncheck enable hibernate...ok your way out...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit
REBOOT

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat files etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
also UNCHECK Old Prefetch data..
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards

the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two

weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...also get a new screenshot using spacemonger and post it here

Edited by happyrock, 15 January 2010 - 07:52 AM.

alicekmom

alicekmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Message after defragmenting:

Findings on C:

Diskeeper has completed a defragmentation run on this volume and there remain 266 fragmented files and/or directories and 50868 excess fragments. (There were 51764 excess fragments before the defragmentation run, and now there are 1% less.)

The average number of fragments per file is 1.95.

This volume is very heavily fragmented, with 23% of the total volume space available for defragmentation. You need to continue running Diskeeper through several more defragmentation runs, and should schedule Diskeeper to run more often than it has been running to reduce the current fragmentation and maintain a lower level of fragmentation.