Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Host Process, Win32 service

• Please log in to reply

jeanie42

jeanie42

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Can you please help me? I keep getting a pop up saying Generic Host process,win32 service. Thank you

Advertisements

back2killah

back2killah

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Is there more information with this error (like a Click Here type button)?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ut oh, sounds like a virus....let me look it up... i remember seeing this a few times on my customers computers and it was either sasser or the blast virus

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Actually im finding out that a lot of things can cause this type of message, like viruses and firewalls. Hang in there, im sure a geek tech will have more to input and ask you ok?

jeanie42

jeanie42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you so much, I had this problem before but not in long time, i use avg, and i do keep getting a virus that pops up it is collected 5.L

avg always says it was cleaned but it pops up again, thank you for the quick response

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I found this :
(from : http://www.experts-e...Q_21273564.html )

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop running Windows XP SP2 with Symantec AntiVirus, Symantec Client Firewall, Ad-Aware SE Professional and Ad-Watch SE Professional. I have scanned for viruses and windows update is up to date.

Over the last few days I've started getting the following message quite regularly:

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs
to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : ntdll.dll
szModVer : 5.1.2600.2180 offset : 00018fea

The machine starts up nicely, but the message either appears while I'm using IE, or when I'm leaving the computer alone. I'm usually able to close the apps, but sometimes I'm not able to shut down properly, and have to shut down by holding the power button down.

The boot up time has increased dramatically, too. I get the screen background quickly, but it takes more than a minute before the taskbar appears.

I vaguley remember that it occured once in a while in the past, but the last week it has started happening several days each day. I have not installed anything significant recently. If all else fails, I will start using system restore, but I'm a bit reluctant, because I'm not sure how far back to go.

I've looked at some of the suggestions on the web, but most of them apply to blaster or other virus problems, which I have already eliminated.

I know you have Norton and cannot think about virus.... but just to confirm, run this online virus scan >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Im sure it will come as clean... and if SO then your system is clean.... its norton which has the problem.... Live update caused problems with Generic Host Process.... uninstall Norton and restart.... notice if you are getting the errors... if NO then you can reinstall Norton..... it should work fine now! :tazz:

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok i see you dont have norton virus scan? You have avg. how long b4 it shuts down? do you have time to go online for a virus scan?

jeanie42

jeanie42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes i think i could have enough time to run a scan

Quilt queen

Quilt queen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This problem is inherent in WinXP SP2. Microsoft now has a fix available. Go to
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
Inspiron?

Is DELL using AMD processors now :tazz: . Well, anyway, I think it is, because almost all (if not, all) processors by AMD end with "-on". It is something Quantum Technology that is using "-on" too as statement of increasing rate, I think I've heard somewhere. I don't even know if it makes sense. I am just wondering if DELL uses AMD nowadays.