Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This file does not have a program associated to it for performing

• Please log in to reply

Nicdez

Nicdez

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I don't have a clue what is wrong with my laptop again. I leave it at my sisters it comes back broken. Windows is booting normal but, getting "This file does not have a program associated to it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control PAnel" when trying to run an .EXE file. I can't even run system restore or anything. :tazz: I looked online for a solution and couldn't find a thing. If anyone could help THANK YOU. -Nick

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

This section is optional

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

If you are unable to run XP Repair

Alternate XP Repair

Use the last one, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
When I type chkdsk /f /r in run. I recieve the error Windows can not open this file. To open this file windoes needs to know what program created it. This is the problem. It wont run through the run window but, if you give me the exact location where I could find that file I can open it by right clicking it, open as, then select the same file in the browse button. EX. C:/windows/system32 or something like that would be great.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What do you get with sfc /scannow

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Sorry for the delayed response. I am getting an error message similar to the one in the picture attached. The exception is it says sfc.exe not Bionic_commando.sav.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Error.bmp   414.53KB   2552 downloads

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would go with the repair install now from the lower half of post 2

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I repaired windows through the XP CD. Tried to access an exe got the "This file does not have a program associated to it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control PAnel" error. I then tried typing chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow. neither worked. Got the error mentioned in post #5. It all started after my sister tried to update the modem. Now I can't even access the options to roll it back. Dude any more ideas.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this and go back to a system checkpoint just before anyone else used it

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I guess because I repaired windows yesterday, There are no system restore points avaliable. IDK what to do now. Anymore ideas? thanks a bunch for your time.

Edited by Nicdez, 12 January 2006 - 09:33 AM.

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I can't believe that there is nothing on the internet I could find about this darn problem.

Advertisements

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
One more thing, I am going to talk to compaq. They are the ones that told my sister how to break the laptop maby they can fix it too. ANy of ur ideas are still wanted though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you revisit post 2, you have tried to check the disc, tried to replace the system files and tried to repair it and have got no further, would you let me know what compaq say

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Compaq helped me. They sent me an EXE fix . I just click the item and it added or repaired (dont know which) a regristry key. All my programs work good as new again. I have provided the file so you may help others with the same problem. It only works with XP though.

Attached Files

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

I suppose the next thing is to password protect the log on or consider using this

http://www.microsoft...s/overview.mspx

Nicdez

Nicdez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for the advise. I WILL start using passwords on my notebook. Peace bro and thanks for all your help and I hope you use that exe fix to help others in my place.