Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do I Uninstall "InCD" Properly?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi,

I bought a dvd burner from a computer store that brought a bundled Nero cd software disc with various Nero applications. I didn't notice during installation but I installed "InCD" by accident with Nero. I have recently figured out what InCD is for and don't need it. I tried to uninstall it through the "Add/Remove Programs" list. But when I did and restarted my pc it removed all of my systray startup icons which have nothing to do with Nero [such as Avg Anti Virus, M Audio Sound Card Volume Control Panel, etc].

This drove me apes as I was wondering why it would do something so drastic when the uninstaller for Incd is supposed to remove that same specific program and not mess with my other applications. I checked through "Msconfig>Startup" and all of my normal startup items were nowhere to be seen. So in order to fix this situation I restored my computer to an early time using "System Restore" in Windows XP. That brought InCD back and all of my systray icons as well [InCD being one of them].

I don't understand why the InCD uninstaller would interfere with some of my other startup/systray items. & yes I did close InCD in the systray prior to uninstalling it. I did some research and found this tool on the Nero website:

Source: http://www.nero.com/...cleantools.html

Posted Image

I don't know if I should use that tool. I'm afraid that if I do so it will do the same thing and remove all of my systray/startup icons. & possibly not bring my computer back to normal if I try to use "System Restore".

Can someone please tell me how I can remove InCD without ruining my systray and other startup items?

- Thank You

Edited by superstar, 29 April 2008 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
InCD hooks itself into the Windows system and certain versions are known to stop computers shutting down at all. It's not a very good program realistically, if I had my way it'd be banished from all computers everywhere, ever.
The removal tool, if uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs didn't work, then the removal tool will. You can usually tell when a program is known to get itself into a state when the manufacturer of it has to write their own manual removal tools to get rid of their own programs.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I totally agree with neil regarding InCD and it's Roxio counterpart "Drag-to-Disk". They both use a form of cd-writing called "packet writing", a technology that's as unreliable as it is convenient. Why those companies continue to bundle it with their core applications is beyond me. Because it is so convenient many people rely on it for making permanent backups for which it is most unsuitable. Packet-written data combined with CD-RW media only increases the unreliability factor and the data on such discs has a habit of mysteriously disappearing or becoming corrupted.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Ok here's the deal... I fixed it myself!!! I figured out what to do, so I hope everyone with the same problem can come here and find this out in the future. Basically InCD is a large piece of crap. It's got to be the worst software that Ahead Nero ever put out in the public. I've never used it but installed it by accident when I bought my dvd-r drive. The point of my ranting is basically don't ever install InCD!!! It's garbage, and Nero does not make it anymore as of 2004. They too know it's uselessness. InCD is not listed in any Windows XP start menu. The only place you can find InCD is in your systray, or if you'd like to uninstall it you'd have to go to the "add remove/programs" list.

But wait a minute people!!! Never try to uninstall it via the "add remove/programs". If you do so it may not uninstall properly, or it may do what it did to me and ruin your startup/icons/options. Nero knows about this issue but they will not admit it! They're so crept up about their reputation so they won't admit to failure. The point is your basically stuck if you can't remove InCD properly from your system.

The following is my step by step guide to removing InCD off of your pc:
[Hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problem in the future]

- First off always create a restore point in windows xp before even trying to remove InCD just in case things go wrong. You can try to uninstall it through the add/remove programs list. But if you do so you might find yourself in a sticky situation and ending up with any of the symptoms I've had or worse. So if that's the case just restore your pc to an earlier time prior to uninstalling InCD.

- Ok now you should really be doing the following steps instead of trying to uninstall InCD from the add/remove programs list. First right click the InCD systray icon and go to "options". Than make sure you have "show changes in icon" [or something along those lines] deselected, and put a check mark on "hide tray". Than go to the official Nero website and download the following InCD clean tool which is the same one I showed up on my first post:

http://www.nero.com/...cleantools.html

Save it to your desktop and extract it. Than launch the exe file that was extracted. You will than see a window pop up listing various Nero applications. Check mark "InCD" and than press the "clean" button which will fully remove InCD off of your system properly. During the cleaning process you may see a message prompt asking you if you'd like to keep your Nero serial number and Plug In serial/information. Click "yes" to that prompt because that may take your serial number away from any other Nero applications you may have which will render them useless [unless you have the serial number for Nero applications handy :)]. The tool will tell you to restart your pc to fully finish the removal procedure, so click "yes" to that prompt, exit the application, and restart your pc. Once your pc is restarted you will notice that InCD is finally off of your system including the add/remove list, start up list in msconfig, the "c:/programs/ahead" folder, and basically everywhere else it would have been! Now your pc is 100% back to normal including perfect systray/startup icons working well [like it is in my case :)]!

This tool is for InCD 4 but I believe it would work on any InCD as well if they're not uninstalling properly.

AT EASE SOLDIERS!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Edited by superstar, 29 April 2008 - 04:52 PM.

Byjo

Byjo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I bought a dvd burner from a computer store that brought a bundled Nero cd software disc with various Nero applications. I didn't notice during installation but I installed "InCD" by accident with Nero. I have recently figured out what InCD is for and don't need it. I tried to uninstall it through the "Add/Remove Programs" list. But when I did and restarted my pc it removed all of my systray startup icons which have nothing to do with Nero [such as Avg Anti Virus, M Audio Sound Card Volume Control Panel, etc].

This drove me apes as I was wondering why it would do something so drastic when the uninstaller for Incd is supposed to remove that same specific program and not mess with my other applications. I checked through "Msconfig>Startup" and all of my normal startup items were nowhere to be seen. So in order to fix this situation I restored my computer to an early time using "System Restore" in Windows XP. That brought InCD back and all of my systray icons as well [InCD being one of them].

I don't understand why the InCD uninstaller would interfere with some of my other startup/systray items. & yes I did close InCD in the systray prior to uninstalling it. I did some research and found this tool on the Nero website:

Source: http://www.nero.com/...cleantools.html

2irrn89.jpg

I don't know if I should use that tool. I'm afraid that if I do so it will do the same thing and remove all of my systray/startup icons. & possibly not bring my computer back to normal if I try to use "System Restore".

Can someone please tell me how I can remove InCD without ruining my systray and other startup items?

- Thank You

Hi, TRY THIS,...click start, run, type: msconfig, ok, thence select TAB startup. look down in list below and find "INCD" >>UNCHECK IT<<< apply, ok, close, NOW go to Control Panel, Add and Remove program, select "INCD"...Finally click REMOVE,,,, !!!! Close,,, NOW check this NONSENSE "INCD",,!! it s gone...Good luck... Byjo

Byjo

Byjo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, TRY THIS,...click start, run, type: msconfig, ok, thence select TAB startup. look down in list below and find "INCD" >>UNCHECK IT<<< apply, ok, close, NOW go to Control Panel, Add and Remove program, select "INCD"...Finally click REMOVE,,,, !!!! Close,,, NOW check this NONSENSE "INCD",,!! it s gone...Good luck... Byjo