Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i get rid of Vista?

• Please log in to reply

nikaru900

nikaru900

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a Store bought PC, It has Vista running on it... However i have grown to dislike Vista for many reasons and i want to go to XP. I want to Format my PC so i can get XP on the machine.

I have the XP install disk thats not the problem, The problem is when i boot up the disk it says it is loading up the drivers and what not, then when it finishes loading up the drivers i get a blue error screen saying that "The computer has been shut down to prevent harm to your PC" (or something like that)

I just want to get rid of vista and put XP on the machine, yet it wont let me, can somebody please help me? i dont want vista anymore...

Also there is 2 drives, C and D, the C drive has all the normal files and the D drive has the "Recovery" files, i dont care about the Recovery i just want my pc wiped and XP being installed on it.

Someone please help me with my problem. Thank you in advance

Advertisements

adamhussein89

adamhussein89

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Have you tried pressing F8 when your machine first boots up? IIRC this should take you into the boot menu and you should be able to select the disc drive as the boot device.

nikaru900

nikaru900

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
That isnt the problem, as i said, it was able to boot from the cd fine.

My problem is where it boots from the cd, goes through the process of loading drivers (i havnt had a menu yet) and then comes up with a blue error screen

Codeman0013

Codeman0013

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sounds like it could be one of many issues. You can have either a bad cd/ or one that is not compatable with your system. Is this a brand new disk? Is it oem? Was it bought with another machine? Is it burnt? Where did it come from? Is it xp sp2 or sp1? Pro or home edition?

nikaru900

nikaru900

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I bought the disk from a PC shop in my area, the disk isnt faulty as it works on another machine, The disk contains Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2.

Edited by nikaru900, 06 July 2007 - 01:10 PM.

Codeman0013

Codeman0013

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok we ruled out the cd if it works in another machine. This could mean many things. Try another cd drive in your machine and see if that works or try resetting the cmos battery and try installing again after it resets its self. Maybe you need a bios flash? I can keep suggesting things i have seen this a lot and its been from many different causes.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You may have to run dban (dariks boot and nuke). It write 0 and 1's to the drive. Find it HERE

nikaru900

nikaru900

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I only have 1 CD Drive. I am not smart on the schematics behind computers, i am a gamer and only know things that are associated with them lol, so i dont know how to reset the cmos battery, although this is a fairly new pc, maybe 3 months old. Also i have never heard of a bios flash and as you may have guessed i dont know how to do one.

TY 123Runner for your suggestion, i will use your method if i cant find out why my disk isnt working :whistling:

I am thinking its to do with the Vista itself, i have my HD partitioned, C and D, 1 has all my files i can touch, and the other is Recovery, i am guessing that the partition is like a "read only" file, ie: its protected, so maybe that is becomming the issue?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I must ask this question where is this XP disk coming from?

nikaru900

nikaru900

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The problem isnt the disk.... but if you must know its from BDP Computers, a family run pc shop around the corner from my house. The disk is fine

Advertisements

mstrbldr

mstrbldr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
reformat hard drive. majorgeeks.com/Barts_PE_Builder_d4007.html you can get all the info and progs you need here. they are FREE.

nikaru900

nikaru900

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sigh.....

I am abandoning this thread if nobody actually wants to help. Nobody is even reading what i have already posted...

Mstrbldr, that program doesnt work with Vista.

If you wish to actually help me then do so, if your here for posting one post telling me to format and never comming again then please dont bother because i am TRYING to format it isnt letting me, please read ALL my posts before posting...

The next post that shows to be unhelpful due to not reading any of my posts i will just abandon this thread

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you try the DBAN?
Have you tried FDISK to clear partitons and format prior to using the XP cd?
What have you tried? Are you just using the XP cd and praying?

nikaru900

nikaru900

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I dont know how to get an FDisk although it was suggested.

I havnt tried DBAN yet, although it looks like i will have to, i just hope the Recovery Drive doesnt mess things up

I have only tried the XP Disk so far as people were assuming the disk was faulty

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You will have to try something different. That is why I stated to wipe the drive with DBAN. As for FDISK, you can get 1 from BOOT DISK.com.
With DBAN, I believe you will lose all partitions and the mbr. You will lose that also with FDISK. You need to clear the partitions and then redo them.

Are you trying to keep the recovery drive? If so, then you have a challenge. You must be VERY carefull when running DBAN.