14 replies to this topic

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
What is Antivirus XP 2008

Posted Image

Antivirus XP 2008 is a Rogue Anti-Spyware Program.
The tool is, in essence, a scare tactic employed by malware authors in an attempt to gain revenue.

The program will produce tons of bogus results and persistently shows you warnings of non-existent threats.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Its final goal is to trick you into purchasing the software, promising to remove these 'infections' that don't even exist!

Posted Image

Where does it come from?

*Fake codecs from adult sites.

Posted Image

*Sites promoting cracks and warez are also common places to find this infection.

How to remove Antivirus XP 2008

There are a few tools that target and remove Antivirus XP 2008.

One of the simplest ways is to run MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Please take note that Antivirus XP 2008 comes bundled with many infections, often seen with popular infections such as virtumundo aka vundo.
If after following the above instructions you are still experiencing problems, please feel free to post a Hijack This log in our Malware Forums.

We ask that you please read and follow the instructions in this thread before posting a log.

Edited by Mike, 29 September 2008 - 08:26 AM.

Advertisements

Talina

Talina

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I apologize if I am posting incorrectly. I wanted to know if this solution will work for me if the name of the virus is different?

It does the same exact thing, alerts, warnings such as "Windows system files have been compromised. Probable cause: malware infection.
Replace modified files with backup copies and perform a scan for malware?" , "Warning! Spyware activity detected. System halted. Please perform a full system scan for viruses and spyware to prevent threat from spreading. Start scan now?", fake blue screen of death stating spyware found, fake restart screen as if Windows is rebooting and states "Windows has found an unregistered copy of Rapid Antivirus Software, Microsoft Security Center recommends activating your antivirus software...blah blah blah.

I have used both McAfee and Nortons but neither have found or removed it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try this since nothing else has worked. I will do so right now, but I would still like to know if it's the same virus listed here under a different name or something entirely unrelated.

Apologies again if this is posted incorrectly,

Best regards

Talina

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I would go ahead and try it, it is probably a variant of this infection

However if it doesn't remove it, post in the HJT forum

Talina

Talina

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just a quick follow up. This solution worked perfectly, thank you so much!

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Glad to hear it worked :)

I saw in your other post you have used both McAfee and Norton. Make sure you only have one AV running, having them both will cause more problems then help.

lara123

lara123

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

removed malware advice

-------------------
Lara

Chiña610

Chiña610

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Please forgive me if i am posting in the wrong place or just have everything wrong i am just flustered!

Is this the same thing as Spyware Guard 2008? I ask because when i first joined earlier i was infected with the virtumonde virus. I did as the tut said to do in that forum but then i got this backdoor.tidservlinf virus! Then it got worse i started getting tons of pop ups, every time i uninstall and delete this Spyware Guard 2008 and reinstalls itself. then when i go to add/remove programs in the control panel it isnt there one minute but it is running then i go back to the control panel and its there again!! i have uninstalled this thing over and over again and cant get rid of it. I also cant get rid of this backdoor virus. I also started getting this error window pop up. first it said cant find c:\windows\system32\hxviylss.dll then it was another one c:\windows\system32\skwupwmw.dll and also c:\windows\system32\kkdwfesq.dll.

I also am having trouble goin online. I can log unto my homepage but i cant log unot most web sites for some reason! I am on my laptop trying to figure this thing out.

My norton 360 will not remove this backdoor virus, I do not know how to fix it or how i even got this darn things since i am careful ... well i thought i was caref\ul, lol apparently not!! ggrrrrrrrrrrr.

I keep getting this system information stating that spyware guard 2008 has found 29 viruses and it is recommended that i disinfect as soon as possible with this program but the trial just scans doesnt remove it. i have to purchase the full working one, which out of fear i have not done so, lol.

Thank you all in advance for any help you may throw this desperate woman, lol.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
That is a variation on it

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

wattage

wattage

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Just a quick follow up. This solution worked perfectly, thank you so much!

hello. i also have the same symptoms of this Antivirus XP 2008 and i want to use Malwarebytes but it doesn't want to load. i had malwarebytes already installed on my comp because it successfully removed some malware close to a year ago. but when i try to open the program, i'll get the hourglass for about 5 or 10 seconds and then it'll disappear and nothing will happen!

i went to another computer and downloaded it to a thumbdrive and tried to re-install it on my infected comp and it installed but it still will not run!

does anyone know what i can do?

thanks.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Did you rename the installer to a random name ?

If that fails you will have to post on the forum so do this

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

daddysgirl

daddysgirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to fix my daddy's PC. He has has this virus for over 6 months and basically just does not use the internet any longer. I tried once before to remove this nasty virus, but I was unsuccessful. But it seems to continue to affect other parts of his computer, so I am trying to get it off again.

I have installed Malwarebytes, but I get an error during installation and if I try to run it:

"Failed to load control 'vbalgrid' from vbalgrid6.ocx Your version of vbalscrfipt6.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

Please Help!!!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts

jayjaythejetplane

jayjaythejetplane

• Pip
  • 5 posts
removed rude advice

sgvaturtle

sgvaturtle

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello and thanks for all the help in advance. For some reason, I am not able to run MBAM on my laptop. I tried renaming the file and running it and that didnt work either....HELP!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.