Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to remove Norton or Symantec software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Huh?

Huh?

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks - It still brings up the error pae I'm afraid.

Actualy I'm starting to think it's my computer because the same error page is showing for my hotmail inbox and windows update. What do you think?

Any help appreciated!!!

Advertisements

gldduv

gldduv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried using the Symantec Removal tool but it does not work on Internet Security 2003.

Any other ideas?

Arfermo

Arfermo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
On this topic, I've had a rebuild and the Nvidia nForce4 disk offered Norton Internet Security 2005 so I installed it only to find that it was for a limited trial period. Decided to uninstall and instead reinstall Anti Virus and Utilities 2002 from a SystemWorks Pro disk. NU disk doctor then started reporting errors and OE import/Export of Address Book from Address Book has now moved to File tab on toolbar and is only available in csv form - not wab. Any solution? Have uninstalled and reinstalled both to no effect. :tazz:

agrarianmonk

agrarianmonk

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
does this work for Symantec Antivirus Corporate editions?

cdavis

cdavis

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have ran the symnrt last night with no errors and it still can't install...another reason I think its a windows installer issue...why won't the msiexec /unregister return a windows can't find message with the file there? also if I now run through Symantec's Assistant utility it returns a 1601 or 1605 error indicating out of disk space (that is definitely not the problem) but in tracing these error it can indicate an installer problem.

newphoto

newphoto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Am getting LU1840, which says Live Update is running in the background, and to wait until it quits running to try Live Update again. I have not been able to update virus definitions for several days. Norton diagnosed the problem and said I had an old version of LU. I think Norton's update is not compatible with the latest Windows update, Service Pack 3. Now I want the mess off my computer, but because Live Update is supposedly running in the background, I can't remove it either.

I also went into the Task Manager and tried to end the LU process but that didn't work either. ARRGGGGHH!
I want to install another antivirus product, but can't do anything until I can get this removed. Any help would be appreciated.

Question is, will it hurt to try the SymNTR.exe in the circumstance listed above?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
For those of you that have versions of NIS/AV that are 5.0/2000/2001/2002/2003 versions, then you will want to use the following files:

Rnav2003.exe with documentation HERE
RNIS.exe with documentation HERE

RNIS.exe works on the following products:
------------------------------------------------
Norton Internet Security 2000 1.0
Norton Personal Firewall 2000 2.0
Norton Internet Security 2000 2.0
Norton Internet Security Family Edition 2000 2.0
Norton Personal Firewall 2001 2.5
Norton Internet Security 2001 2.5
Norton Internet Security Family Edition 2001 2.5
Norton Personal Firewall 2001 3.0
Norton Internet Security 2001 3.0
Norton Internet Security Family Edition 2001 3.0
Norton Personal Firewall 2002 4.0
Norton Internet Security 2002 4.0
Norton Internet Security Professional 2002 4.5
Norton Personal Firewall 2003 6.0
Norton Internet Security 2003 6.0
Norton Internet Security Professional 2003 6.0

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 04 February 2006 - 06:33 AM.

fanton

fanton

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello,

I am in the process of using Windows Add/Remove Programs to remove Norton. The NIS setup window that appears asks if I want to Restore Windows Firewall to its pre-installation state. What does that mean? Do I want this? The default is checked YES, restore to previous state.

fanton

robd

robd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am having a similar problem with Norton Internet Security. I thought I had uninstalled it to move to AVG, but AVG won't update as it cannot connect to the net, presumably because of some confusion with the Nortons program. When I try to use symnrt it says I am trying to use an expired tool. I will never use a symantec problem again - 3 years ago I wasted months trying to get the disk defrag element of their utilities to run, only to find out it was not running bercause of a conflict with their security product. I should have known better than to renew the security product. HELP!!!

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Its a tough one, no doubt about it. Even their (Symantec) cleaning tools leave something to be desired but here goes. This is my approach and you can read it, but I am not recommending that you try it, especially if you are not an experienced user who knows how to get out of a jam. It may be wise to make a complete Image of your system which can be used to restore your machine if you go bust with this. Now thats a Disclaimer if there ever was one.

After using the Windows uninstaller to take out everything Norton related, one is still going to find a plethora of leftover files and folders. Each User profile will have a Symantec folder under Application Data, there will be folders on the root of your system drive and there will be folders listed under program files and under common files. Norton will also be in the Start menu for All Users and there may also be "super hidden files" relating to Norton protected recycle bin properties. The sure fix is a reformat and clean installation but you wouldn't be reading this if that was your current game plan.

Now, the disclaimer again - everything from here on out is done at your own risk and this is not for the timid or digitally challenged user. This procedure is for XP & 2000 (9X differs slightly). Install RegCleaner and use it to remove your first round of leftover registry entries (yes it will catch some of them) after uninstalling any Norton product. Set your file properties in Windows so you can view all system and hidden files and if this is foreign to you - don't try to go any further with these instructions - quit now, before its too late. One can next procede to search for all things Norton and Symantec related using Windows Explorer and actually delete them - note you may have to delete items in a folder before you can delete the folder itself. Again, these are going to be spread all over the place so one has to be both thorough and patient. Once completed, you are partway home. I'd also recommend rebooting after each major folder deletion and keeping your deleted files and folders in the recycle bin for one or two reboots as a temporary fallback. Now the fun begins. Install the latest version of RegSeeker and use it to clean your registry. Do this in steps if you aren't sure and make sure it is enabled to save a backup of the entries you are about to remove. Once this has been completed (may require a couple of runs with reboots in between), do a search for Norton using RegSeeker and remove all entries found. Repeat the same procedure for Symantec. I'm going to assume that you uninstalled Live Reg and Live Update way back when using the Windows Uninstaller and ran RegCleaner way back when. Now, we need to be able to view your super hidden files in order to delete those Norton Protected files from the recycle bin on each hard drive present. If you aren't familiar with this, you shouldn't be attempting any of the above. Finally, one can run RegSeeker again to clean any remaining leftovers and your system should be "Free at Last".

The Big Disclaimer - don't try this if any of the steps or procedures listed above are totally foreign to you - chances are real good that you will trash your whole system and I don't want to be responsible for that.

Good Luck
:tazz:

Advertisements

robd

robd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Wow, Rockster2U, that all sounds very intimidating. I will keep a note of it all, but for now I have finally been able to install the uninstall tool from Symantec and that seems to have owrked - certainly live update and other symantec apps are no longer shown in the remove file list and avg is now working happily. Fopr a company which is supposed to be about protecting computers from viruses etc, Symantec are pretty good at putting them on as well! many thanks, Rob

dbcs

dbcs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How do u remove norton parental controls from a computer?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts

How do u remove norton parental controls from a computer?

Ask your parents nicely and if you have shown to be a responsible person, I'm sure they will comply. :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I don't - I let parents do that.

:tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I have just updated this topic. Added Fenor's addition to the front and updated the links/documentation. Removal tool now supports NAV 2008. If you have any questions about removing the software or other related issues please post a new topic in this forum (applications). We will be glad to assist.

thanks,
Starjax