Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can not install any windows updates, drivers - win xp pro

• Please log in to reply

jnrz2

jnrz2

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well I installed Windows XP on a New HD after basically hit and miss tweaking on my older system.

So, to the point, right now I am not able to install any updates from the windows site. My new drivers will Not install, old drivers will not either. My dvd drive is also now getting an error saying D:\setup.exe is not a valid windows process. (trying to reinstall my copy of xp from the disc) also it is a clean key. I downloaded OTL because I searched on google about my problem and it showed up.
I have the Extras.Txt and OTL.Txt that I will copy and paste in the end. my "add new hardware wizard" also will not install previous things my other computer can install. Such as my guitar from my xbox. It shows it knows what it is "harmonix guitar for xbox 360" and proceeds to search for hardware (where it would normally install it) but then says "windows cannot find the proper drivers or software to install" When I start my computer everything comes up normal But for my graphics card i get a CLI error (command line interface) and it says windows has ran into a problem and closes it.. it gives me the option to send the error report. also when i check any of my driver info it gives me the same error, not CLI but the windows error. I am into java, and some c+,++. I'm majoring in computer science. I love to learn new things about pcs/interworkings/base anything about computers. I have been tearing apart my own pc's and putting them back together since 2000, almost 10 years now, I know some(not a pc dummy lol) If anyone can help that would be great. I'll answer Any questions you have to ask. Thanks!

I'm going to post the OTL.Txt and the Extras.Txt in another post.
And I'm 99.9% sure I do not have a virus that could be causing this. But, who knows? lol.

Edited by jnrz2, 11 October 2009 - 03:25 PM.

Advertisements

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
removed clean log

Edited by Rorschach112, 12 October 2009 - 06:51 AM.

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
removed clean log

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello Rshaffer61. Thank you for the reply. I took action and Completed everything as you requested. I'm writing back to you in concern on my results.. It returned 0 infections. I'm posting the Link to the other post. http://www.geekstogo...55#entry1660455

I think I've been basically given a "clean bill of health" for malware/spyware. I failed to state that this windows install is VERY new. So it basically just has essentials (well for me).. If you wish to go ahead and comment me on any suggestions that would be great, or wait, until I'm officially OK'd..

Thanks!
And if you need anymore logs I will post or message you them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will wait for the Malware Tech to get what they may need.
There are deeper scans they can get with other programs.
Just a few questions just in case.
Is this a name brand system?
If so what make and model is it?
Is the XP a retail or OEM?
Is it original or copy?
Same version as what was on your system originally?

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
It's a VIA tech. Motherboard.
IT's a custom system I bought in '02.
The XP is an original Copy. My friend bought the CD's from staples and let me use his key because he fixed his computer before he used the CDs.

I've had this version installed on my computer for years, 3 different hard drives and 5 different installs.
I've done hit and miss tweaking I'd like to call it but have crashed 4/5 installs. lol. All something different. Mainly because I didnt like to update windows and ran into certain viruses but I'm glad I've done so much with this because it has given me a lot more knowledge of what is going on, what is vital, and just whatever really. I do remember using ComboFix and KillBox to attempt in cleaning one system but I ended up getting registry errors on that and it would not log into windows because it said "The version of windows cannot be identified" or something a long those lines and just logs me off.. even in safe mode etc.

Thank you again for your reply and anything you need, via scan or anything just tell me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One word of advice and I'm sure the malware tech will tell you this also. Don't run combofix without the supervision of a qualified tech.
Used the wrong way it can render your system useless.
It seems like that is what it did with your registry :)

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes lol, Is there a fix for this? It almost seems as if it's like missing a directory or incomplete so its not hitting the right area, if you get what I'm saying.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest a system restore but the malware tech will most likely have you wipe those clean so that there is no possible way to reinfect your system.
There are a couple of other steps we could try but it would be more beneficial to clean the system first as anything we do may not help if your system is indeed still infected.

Advertisements

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
the system is clean and a system restore did not solve my problem, cant take it back to day 1.. not sure what to do from here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you format the system and reinstall XP fresh?
When did the update problem start?
Have you tried a repair installation?
How do you know the system is clean?

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes it was a clean install, it's not only an update problem its an install problem. Anything to do with windows though is a problem. I installed WinAmp fine, chrome, firefox.. But I have problem with installing codecs, updates, drivers.. I cant repair because when I load my CD and try to run it it says "D:\setup.exe is an invalid win32 process" so I cannot repair this install. Unless there is another way? I did stumble upon ComboFix and the date is July 5th on the log.

I see this
"HKU-Default-Run-DriverLoad - (no file)
HKU-Default-Run-DriverCheck - (no file)
HKU-Default-Run-SystemDriverLoad - (no file)
HKU-Default-Run-SystemDriver - (no file)
HKU-Default-Run-FDriver - (no file)
HKU-Default-Run-ADriver - (no file)"

that doesnt seem right to me, lol.
But, I just think its clean because it is such a new install
and for the fact that the malware/spyware utilities you had me run came up with 0 infections. This is why I'm back to my original guess, registry errors. I do have the full log if you want to take a look. thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then at this point we may need to look at the file system itself. Please do the following steps and let me know what the results are.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the reply. I ran sfc. It ran for a couple seconds, you could tell it was running then it restarted my computer and now i get a logon.exe error when i log-in to windows. ive tried it a couple more times just in case, same problem. :)