Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't delete a 0 byte file

• Please log in to reply

King0358

King0358

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a 0 byte file that popped up on my Desktop that I would like to permantely delete. The file name is CA3BFMHN. It includes the . at the end. When I try to delete the file directly it states "Error Deleting File or Folder. Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." I managed to delete the file a couple times (I'm not too sure of what I did), but the file pops back when I download anything or save a picture from online. There is no extension to the file. I cannot rename the file as well. When I click Properties, the Attributes are not checked on Read-only or Hidden. When I go to Windows Explorer, I checked the Details and it said the attributes are Hidden, System. I have ran Norton Anti-Virus, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, and Spybot - Search & Destroy. And I found nothing. I have tried to locate the file through Command Prompt and try to delete it there, but the file is not showing up there. I don't know too much of Command Prompt, so I don't know if there are additional methods. I'm at the point that I am not sure what I can do to solve this problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

King0358

King0358

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just found a temporary way to delete the file. It doesn't seem very conventional. I opened the file with Notepad. It says "Cannot find the C:\Document and Settings\Wen-Tsai King\Desktop\CA#BFMHN. file. Do you want to create a new file?" I clicked Yes. Then I went to Save As and save it as the identical file name without the *.txt extension. And I said yes to replace the original file. I closed out Notepad. Now I have two files on the Desktop for some reason. One is CA3BFMHN. (the original file) and the CA3BFMHN (the saved file). I went to Properties of CA3BFMHN. (the original file) and checked Read-Only and Hidden and OK it. Then I went back to Properties again, but uncheck those two options. The icon of the file CA3BFMHN. (the original file) went from semi-transparent to solid color. Now I am able to delete this file, but it won't work for the CA3BFMHN (the saved file). But if undelete the file that I just deleted CA3BFMHN (the original file), nothing comes back to the Desktop. However now if I try to delete CA3BFMHN (the saved file), now it will let me.

So I have found a temporary way to delete the file, but how do I keep it from popping back on my Desktop. It always pop back up when I download anything or save a picture from online. It doesn't matter which directory or folder I save the files or pictures at. I am out of ideas! Again any help would be appreciated!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Neat problem....

Browser? Are you using a download manager?

It sounds like whatever you are using is creating a temp file, then not cleaning up after itself.

King0358

King0358

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I normally use the AOL 9.0 browser and Internet Explorer.

l337hero

l337hero

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had this problem too. it was really annoying, couldn't find how to fix it anywhere, eventually i came across a program called "Delete FXP files"

http://www.jrtwine.c...ts/DelFXPFiles/

it removed the file i had, named "CASHG1WV."

hopefully this post and thread would serve others who'd encounter this error

King0358

King0358

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That program did the trick! So far that annoying file has not popped back up. Thanks again!!!

Mikerman

Mikerman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just wanted to thank people here for suggesting and noting Delete FXP Files as a solution to the file that just won't delete. I had the same issue and the file wouldn't go away, using DOS, Windows 7, various erase and delete programs, etc. Finally, though, Delete FXP Files (a complicated name for the program--not the best marketing!) did the trick.

Just a tip about getting Delete FXP Files:

Apparently, at this point, the developer no longer issues a free (but limited) version of the software. Instead, the developer's website offers various pay versions with increased functionality (file renaming, etc.), as well as a trial version of the software which has a limit of 5 deletes (and for me, for some reason, each deletion counted as 2, limiting me to 3 file deletes). This may be enough for you. But if you are impressed with the software and want to keep it around should you need it in the future for other pesky files, an earlier version of the software, which is not limited in the number of file deletions and which also deletes folders and their contents, can still be found around the Internet through a quick search (thank you, Internet memory!). Look for version 1.2.72, which I found at download.cnet.com (as well as many other sites), and which actually shows as Version 1.9.138 when installed on my system. Even though it's an older version (from 2005 or so), it works fine on a Windows 7 64-bit system, and without needing to set compatibility mode.

Again, thanks for the help here!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Killbox will do the same job

internut

internut

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks ever so much for the info about the "Delete FXP Files" program! I have had a stubborn 0 byte file that ended in ".firm." for ages and couldn't get rid of it. Had tried Unlocker, Killbox, Command Prompt, etc, nothing worked till I found this thread and installed Delete FXP Files, it's now gone! Many thanks indeed, you wonderful geeks!
:D
Dorrie
N.Ireland

Edited by internut, 04 November 2010 - 11:09 AM.

kenrayn

kenrayn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
there is actually another program you can try with too -

please tell me if it worked :)

kenrayn
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Please do not suggest that program again it is unsafe.
I have sent you a PM explaining why.
Thank you
Macboatmaster

NB You will also note that you have posted on a thread the last post of which, before yours was Nov. 2010

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 February 2012 - 12:23 PM.
to remove link to unsafe porgram