Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Important PSGuard info

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Wallbridge

Wallbridge

• Pip
  • 7 posts
In addition to the files most every spyware removal program like Ad-Aware or Spybot find regarding PSGuard, there are several you can find only with a virus scanner. In addition, these files must usually be manually deleted, meaning no matter how much you scan and remove stuff, PSGuard will keep coming back.

When you attack PSGuard, HijackThis to remove the intell32.exe entry and anything related to PSGuard. Then delete anything on your computer (folders or files) with PSGuard in it, as well as C:\Windows\Sysytem\intell32.exe.

Your registry should be cleaned of all its stuff too, and many different programs on www.download.com specifically tailored to attack Spyware like the programs I mentioned (and many others), will take care of this. I would recommend going to their anti-spyware center, reading the Horror Stories of Spyware, and downloading all of the programs they recommend.

Now, the meat of the post.

PSGuard puts files in your C:\_Restore\Temp directory, where they are nigh impervious to removal short of digging them out yourself. To eliminate them, turn off your automatic system updater from your My Computer - Properties - Performance - File System - Troubleshooting or wherever it is, then make it so you can see "All Folders and Files" and "Hidden Files" from your Tools - Folder Options - View (In Explorer, when you're looking at folders and files).

Then delete every last file in there. They are all backups to previous system snapshots, but you don't want to go back to a backup with spyware in it, do you?

After you have done all these things, PSGuard will not come back. Make sure you eliminate those sneaky files, and scan your system with multiple Spyware and virus checkers.

Also, if anyone has the address to the person responsible for this thing, please post it here so I can break into their house, tie them up and teabag the son of a biitch.

Chris

Edited by Wallbridge, 08 August 2005 - 05:00 AM.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Wallbridge,

Anyone having problems with SpyGuard and it's associates will be helped by our trained staff.

Every malware will end up in restore Points when it is running on a system with System Restore enabled. This is nothing special.

If you would like to help out at GeeksToGo, please enroll here:
http://www.geekstogo...here-t4817.html

I am closing this thread.

Regards,