Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infected by fake anti spyware [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi emeraldnzl,

Yes I get the option "last know good configuration" when I f8 to the advanced start up options screen.

I thought it was going to be a delicious facepalm moment, but alas choosing this has no effect either.

Here are the options I recieve on the advanced startup page:

Safe mode
Safe mode with Networking
Safe mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Las Known Good Configuration ( your most recent settings that worked )
Directory services restore mode ( Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging mode
Disable automatic start on system failure

Start windows normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

Of course, thus far I havent been able to get anywhee with the ones I have hosen on this screen.

Ok, I'll check this link you gave me.

If worst comes to worst and all options become exhausted, please walk me through the complete reinstall - I could live with it more than this blue screen heh.

Thanks

Advertisements

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi again,

Well, that guys stuff is kind of bizarre from my point of view. It seems to assume things which we have established cannot be done.

My BIOS order is fine. I posted it for you to see.
When I boot from disk though, I get none of these options ( except one asking to choose to boot from hard drive or CD).

I don't get this "welcome to setup" screen ( at the very start of his instructions). Booting from the cd, it attempts to load windows and fails, in precisely the same way as the other method.

Can you show me how to reach this screen, or maybe I am doing something wrong which is preventing me seeing this screen?

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hmnn, this is strange. I have been to this set up screen before, I remember it from

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

this page.

I don't know how to get there again though, it certainly dosent happen automatically when booting from CD.

Well, I need to go to Frace for this funeral tomorrow, until Sunday. So after today, I guess you guys can take your time and probably figure it out easy enough.

I am thoroughly confused now and all these screens and numbers are blurring in my head. My head hurts lol. I can honestly say i wont be volunteering myself for this punishment again lol. Not directed at you guys of course - about 10 of us all use the same computer here and I presume collectively destroy it, but yet I am always the fool who volunteers to try fix it. And now those lazy so-and-so's have the temerity to shout at me for breaking it lol.

Well, I'll wait in case you have any advice on reaching these screens. Otherwise I'll see you after the weekend.

*EDIT* I am repeatedly driven to despair by how my screens do not match up with th ones shown in the guides.

In Advanced BIOS features

CPU feature <press enter>
Boot sequence <press enter>
Quick boot <enabled> -----a problem preventing tests from running?
Security option <setup>
boot to os2 <no>

I could change boot sequence so that CD comes ahead of removable, but it makes no difference.

I cannot find the windows professional set up screen again :) The older link said it comes up automatically when restarting computer with the CD in, but it does not.

I am also given two CDs to choose from when i elect cd boot on yet another random screen ( one found by presing f8 before it would bring me to the safe mode/recovery list of options)

ChO M. : SONY DVD RW DW-Q31A
Cho S. : SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615

Neither of them look to be the disck I have in there, but what would I know. I don't know which to choose though.

Edited by beeps, 18 August 2009 - 06:18 AM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

If worst comes to worst and all options become exhausted, please walk me through the complete reinstall - I could live with it more than this blue screen heh.

I think there is so much confusion now that if the next option doesn't work I will send you to the techs for exactly that.

Here is a completely different approach the may be less confusing. You have to be able to download and burn a CD using another computer.

Download the Avira AntiVir Rescue System from here: http://www.free-av.c...cue_system.html

• Run rescue_system-common-en.exe, and insert a blank CD into your CD Writeable drive.
  • Select your CD Writable drive and press the Burn CD button. The burning process should be pretty quick.

After that

• Insert your newly burned CD into your infected computer, and restart. When a list of options appears, type 1 to boot into the CD.
  • A linux kernel will load, and Avira's Rescue CD will start automatically.
  • If you see everything in German, click on the UK flag near the bottom left to change it to English.
  • Click on the Configuration button.
  • Ensure under Scan Mode that Scan all files is selected.
  • Ensure under Action at malware discovery that Try to repair infected files is selected, as well as Rename files, if the cannot be removed?
  • Click on the Virus Scanner button, and press Start Scanner.
  • Avira AntiVir Rescue CD will now scan your computer. The scan may take a while.
  • When the scan finishes, reboot your computer. If your CD is still in, it will ask you what you want to load. Type 2 to boot into your computer.
  • When you are booted up, you're computer should run a little smoother (a few errors may appear though). Run OTL (see post #2) and post a new log here.

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Ok, well, Its lucky I have to go away probably heh, I am driven crazy by this. I am computer illiterate, but not stupid - the guides ask me to navigate menus which bear no relation to those on my screen or give me command instructions with inaccurate spacing and such, and each new set of instructions seems to bear no relation to my last reply.

I need to find the "welcome to set up" screen again in order to try that last set of instructions, shouldn't we try to do that?

Well, ok, I am going to try this new stuff after I return on sunday.

Apologies if this has been a particularly trying fix, but I cannot help what the computer screen looking at me shows and dosen't show.

If we are still stuck, yes I guess we reinstall. :)

Thanks

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

the guides ask me to navigate menus which bear no relation to those on my screen or give me command instructions with inaccurate spacing and such, and each new set of instructions seems to bear no relation to my last reply.

You really need technical help with this.

While I have sort advice from them; passing it on is not the same as dealing directly with them. They cannot post in this forum.

Please open a new topic in the Windows XP forum here and tell them what the problem is. Provide them with a link to this topic so they can see what has happened.

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi emeraldnzl,

ok, I'll do that.

I tried to follow your lst set of instructions, bu the only other computer I have access to is a Mac, which dosent seem to run the program. I'd like to try it, is there any way to do it with a Mac?

Anyway, failing that, I'll take it to the other forum.

Excuse any freak outs on my part please, I think they are understandable though - these things are mind bogglingly frustrating to knuckle dragging luddites like myself :)

Thanks for your help. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Thanks for your help

Your welcome, only wish things had gone more smoothly for you. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.