Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to install Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
This is a step-by-step on how to perform a Fresh Install of Windows 98. What you are going to need for this:

1) Windows 98 CD
2) Windows 98 Product ID/Key
3) About 1-2 Hours

The screen shots on this page are taken from a Windows 98SE OEM install using only the CD, on a unpartition Hard Drive. If you all ready have Windows 98 installed, you can skip to (Step 07) and continue on or skip to (Step 13), to delete the partition and start at (Step 01). If you cant find your Windows 98 Product Key then skip to (Step 14) before doing any of this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installing Windows

(Step 01)
You need to make sure that you have the BIOS/Startup, so that the CDROM drives boots before the Hard Drive. To do this, you need to enter the BIOS/Startup by pressing: ESC, F1, F2, or DEL. Usually during POST (boot up) there should be something on the bottom stating on how to enter the BIOS/Startup. Press the button that it says to press or try one of the above until you enter BIOS/Startup Menu. Now using the arrow keys, there should be a tab that says, Startup/Boot Order. Under that should be a list with a list of options, make the 1st Boot - Floppy/3.5 Floppy, 2nd Boot - CDROM, 3rd Boot - Hard Drive, 4th Boot - Other. Place the CD in the CDROM Drive, save and exit the BIOS settings.

(Step 02)
Posted Image
After exiting the BIOS the computer will restart. You will get the above screen after the computer finishes POST. Select Boot from CD.

(Step 03)
Posted Image
After selecting Boot from CD the above screen will come up. Select Start computer without CD-ROM support.

(Step 04)
Posted Image
When if finishes loading, you will see the above screen with A:\. Type fdisk and then press enter. This is how the screen should look:

A:\fdisk

(Step 05)
Posted Image
You will come to the screen above. Press Enter.

Posted Image
After that you will come to this screen, press 1 then Enter.

Posted Image
You will then come to this screen, press 1 then Enter.

Posted Image
Now the program will check the Hard Drive, and then will make the partition. Press Y then Enter.

Posted Image
After that is done you will come to this screen, press ESC. You will then come back to the black screen with A:\. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. This will restart the computer.

(Step 06)
You will then come back to the Boot Select Screen. Select Boot from CD-ROM.

(Step 07)
Posted Image
Select Start computer with CD-ROM support. The computer will now have CDROM support; you will come to the black screen with the A:\. Now type D:\WIN98\format C:

This is how the screen will look:

A:\D:\WIN98\format C:

You will be asked if you want to proceed with the format. Press Y, and then Enter. Depending on the size of the Hard Drive, this may take a while. After it is done formatting, press Enter (Do not enter a label).

(Step 08)
Posted Image
Now it is time to start the install of Windows 98. After pressing Enter, you should be at the A:\. Now type D:\WIN98\setup. This is how the screen should look:

A:\D:\WIN98\setup

Before the install can start the Windows 98 setup need to check the Hard Drive. Press Enter, this also takes long time depending on the size of the Hard Drive.

(Step 09)
Posted Image
After scandisk has finish, and the files have been copied, you will come to this screen. Click Continue.

Posted Image
Select C:\Windows, and then click Next.

Posted Image
Select Typical, and then click Next.

Posted Image
Select Install the most common components, then click Next.

Posted Image
This here is optional; change the values for Computer Name, Workgroup.

Computer Name: MyComputer
Workgroup: Home

After you have made the changes, click Next.

Posted Image
Select your location, click Next.

Posted Image
Click Next, you can choose to make a Windows 98 Startup Disk, if so then insert a floppy then click OK, if not the click Cancel.

Posted Image
After the Startup Disk is completed, if you choose to make it, click Next to start copying Windows 98 files.

Posted Image
After the files have finished copying, remove the Windows 98 Startup Disk, and click OK to restart the computer.

(Step 10)
Posted Image
You will come to the Boot Select Screen, select Boot from Hard Drive.

Posted Image
The next screen you will see will be the Windows 98 Splash Screen.

Posted Image
Enter the User Information, and then click Next.

Posted Image
Read and agree to the EULA, then click Next.

Posted Image
Enter the Windows 98 Product ID/Key, and then click Next.

Posted Image
Click Finish.

(Step 11)
The computer will restart, select Boot from Hard Drive. The Windows 98 Splash Screen will come up. Windows is now finishing the last minute settings.

Posted Image
During those last minute settings, you will need to set the clock. Once done, click Apply then OK

Posted Image
The Windows Install is also most complete, and after it finishes the computer will restart.

(Step 12)
For the last time the Boot Select Menu will come up, select Boot from Hard Drive. The Windows 98 Splash Screen will appear; after it goes away Windows will install any drivers need.

Posted Image
Congratulations, you have installed Windows 98.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deleteing Partitions

(Step 13)
To delete a partition, when at the A:\ type fdisk. This is how it should look:

A:\fdisk

When in the fdisk program press Enter. Press 3, if there are any Logical they have to be deleted before the Extended. Before the Logical partition can be deleted the Extended partition has to be deleted. When all of the partitions have been deleted then exit the fdisk program and restart the computer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del. To finish the install of Windows 98 goto (Step 02), read the last sentence.
Recovering Windows Product Key

(Step 14)
To recover the Windows Product Key:

Start -> Run -> type regedit

This will open the Registry Editor. From there navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Click on the CurrentVersion folder, and on the right pane there will be a key that says ProductKey. There will be a 25 digit key(both numbers and letters), copy it down. If you still cant find it, then:

Edit -> Find

Type ProductKey in the find box and click Find Next.

Edited by DHooper, 13 November 2006 - 02:57 PM.

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Do not use Fdisk on win98 (not win98se) for HDD bigger than 12GB

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
:tazz:
Ok, I was able to reinstall Windows 95 with my floppies. When I try to install the Windows 98 from the cd a box comes up that says: This CDRom contains a newer version of Windows then the one you are presently using. Would you like to upgrade your computer to this new version of Windows 98 now?

When I click yes, it says: W98 setup, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. W98 setup caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 000a:00000032

Is the computer detecting another Windows 98 that might had been on my computer earlier? Anyone out there with any ideas about my next course of action?

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Why not use FDISK on win 98 with a HDD larger than 12 gb

terryjenner

terryjenner

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have enjoyed using Firefox, but recently purchased a Quicken program which requires activex controls (IE). Any way I can get these two to interact nicely, or am I stuck with IE again? thanks

Terry

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This is a great tutorial. I'd like to add that after you have made the new installation you defragment the disk, even if defragmentor says it's only two or three percent fragmented and you don't need to. These are operating system files and the system will operate much more crisply if you do. If you watch the defragmentor in operation you will see that there are many empty spaces and fragmented files.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
fantastic work man . great tutorial .. although i know it .. but great help

skyKL

skyKL

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Ok, I was able to reinstall Windows 95 with my floppies.  When I try to install the Windows 98 from the cd a box comes up that says:  This CDRom contains a newer version of Windows then the one you are presently using.  Would you like to upgrade your computer to this new version of Windows 98 now?

When I click yes, it says: W98 setup, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.  W98 setup caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 000a:00000032

Is the computer detecting another Windows 98 that might had been on my computer earlier?  Anyone out there with any ideas about my next course of action?

View Post

Are you upgrading your OS from win95 to win98?
Why not you format and install a fresh win98 installation without upgrading.
The problems occured could be with the startup windows files, which is it needed win95 system, whereas you try to install win98 OS, which is not compatible.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Great tutorial, if you already have Windows 98 installed, and you just format the hard drive, and install Win98 on a FAT32 drive, do you need to delete the partition. Sorry about the dumb question, first time I ever tried this.

Edited by GoCompute, 20 August 2005 - 09:01 AM.

DHooper

DHooper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Thank you, and to answer your question. No, you dont need to delete the partition if you plan to reinstall Windows 98. So you can pick up from Step 07, and finish up the install. Hope that this helps.

Advertisements

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Mdog73

Mdog73

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Does this work the same way with Windows ME too? I have an old computer that came with ME and I wanted to do a clean reinstall with it.

Cows With Guns

Cows With Guns

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I liked your tutorial, but Iam having problems installing Windows 98 SE. I tried your steps, but I can't get started at all.

This will probably require a few e mails, but Iam really at a loss. Trying to install directly from the Windows 98 SE (Full Edition) CD with an unpartioned hard drive I get this msg.

Verifying DMI Pool Data................
Flashing cursor goes no further

I have the Bios set for:

Floppy
CD Rom
Hard Disk 0
Other

Appreciate your help walking me thru this.

Edited by Cows With Guns, 28 September 2005 - 07:29 PM.

DAKTARI

DAKTARI

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can not access step 14 as my screen freezes at windows 98 welcome screen saver.
when starting

Aamir khan

Aamir khan

• Pip
  • 4 posts

:)
Ok, I was able to reinstall Windows 95 with my floppies. When I try to install the Windows 98 from the cd a box comes up that says: This CDRom contains a newer version of Windows then the one you are presently using. Would you like to upgrade your computer to this new version of Windows 98 now?

When I click yes, it says: W98 setup, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. W98 setup caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 000a:00000032

Is the computer detecting another Windows 98 that might had been on my computer earlier? Anyone out there with any ideas about my next course of action?

hi how are you friends,
any one tell me how can i save? this installing tip with picture in
my hard drive. pls must tel me about it, i'm waiting for your
soon answer.
Aamir khan.