Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this True

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
My computer has died twice and I have reset it up both times. after the second time I rang Dell for the fifth time and was told that going by the promlems that I had it was the Windows up dates that were killing my computer. Dose this sound right or or would it just be they wanted to get me off the phone?

Edited by Michael Buckley, 26 June 2005 - 02:28 AM.

Advertisements

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
errrm i though that Windows updates should fix some peoblems? but if you have a rrreeeeeaaaaaalllllly crap computer then anything else might not work well.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
amazing topic ..well geting info

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Service pack would allow for more stability and security for your pc, on the other hand it would add more components for the operation of your PC.

If your PC spec. can't handle (e.g. memory) this would slow the pc and kill it down to halt.

so check the system requiremtn for any software you install including the operating system.

Edited by samiko, 26 June 2005 - 02:09 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
for what it's worth, I have on several occasions seen PCs where a windows update causes a problem...there is even a method for removing windows updates via command line...but to know if you had this issue, you need to specifiy the symptoms, though.

Murdernickle

Murdernickle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had the same thing happen to me after installing service pack 1. It strangled my bandwidth beyond believe. I have dsl and just connecting was a pain. That was before I reconfigured its firewall to allow for proper use though.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I supose that I had better be a lot more parcific in what happened to my computer. first this is that list of thing that I put togeather before I rang dell.

It can take longer than it should to start up (two minutes to over an hour).

It can take ages to shut down. One time it completely froze.

Programs can take a while (a few minutes) to start up and the DVD will take over a minuet to open.

It comes up with some program will not open when the computer starts, the program varies each time.

Explorer will crash when I try to send a file to the other computer even thought the signal is as good as it ever gets.

It will crash (freezes) when I open some programs, some such programs are, Word, Explorer, Norton Ghost, Age of Empires, Internet Explorer, and even the Help in the start menu.

One time the computer started up in 600 by 800 screen resolution and with the mouse not working.

Outlook Express often can not connect to the server even when I can at the same time connect and open pages on the Internet.

It had a problem sending one e-mail, no reason.

It comes up with a little sign every time I start my computer it says “Norton Protection: Attention, unable to detect C drive”

Norton AntiVirus can not down load Norton AntiVirus Internet worm protection signature updates (this started two-weeks into the problem.)

I could not install an update (not a windows update) to something two weeks ago because there was something wrong with Windows installer.

Had a problem receiving a files through windows Messenger.

All program have problems Norton antivirus, Norton Goast, Windows Explorer, Age of Empires, Outlook Express, and even windows help made my computer crash.

Was having a slection of these problems on my computer to the extent that I was fighting with it for a several hours a day. Then I got a new problem it would not startup, it just come up with an error message on a black screen and that was as far as I could go. I formated my hard drive useing bootable floopys made with partition magic (I did not have this on my computer ever) and partition it out (one partition for the operating system, another for my personal stuf and another for backups).

I then reinstalled my windows XP with survice pack from that disk that came with my computer and every thing else that I had. With in five days my computer was dead.

As I said I then rang Dell for the fifth time (all the other times thay could not realy help me) and was told it was the Windows up dates. I know how to remove them as someone segested but not when the computer wont start up (You can do it in that add remove programs if you chose the show update option just above the top of the list).

It is unliky that is is my hard ware because my computer is four mouths old has 80 Gigabits hard drive 512 megabits ram and a pentium 4 prosesser. They got me to do a test of my hard ware using some disk that came with the computer and nothing was detected.

All segestions much much wellcomed. :tazz:

Edited by Michael Buckley, 26 June 2005 - 07:57 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it seems unlikely windows update would cause those problems...maybe updating to sp2 would cause issues with norton stuff, but that is about it.

I would say it's more likely you have a malware infection, and old drivers.

Let's take a peek.

Show me a hijack log and I can at least start ruling some things outs.

In addition

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs.[/code]

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Download Everst Home, http://lavalys.com/p...p?pid=1&lang=en, display the report here.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Some updates just don't get along and they can cause problems if installed together, not letting the machine shut down is one of them, so just do a few at a time and turn off automatic updates. I know, I've updated two machines, one after a fresh install, and both had similar problems till I turned off automatic and ran the show myself.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Paulcomputerman if your aim is to get me to test my hardware I have allready done so with a hareware dionostic program that came with my computer and was meant to test my type of computer. The extensive test passed all my hard ware so this problem I persume is software related.

Gerryf you wanted to give you my log which will do later in this reply. I do not think that this will be on much use in this problem that I was having because as I said I have fromated my hard drive and lost everything on it and then reset up my computer again. since I have not been on the internet from my computer (I am on my dad's computer) except when I moved my computer to a place when I could conect using a cable (normaly I use a wireless network but at the minuet I can not connect even though it says that I am conected I can not get any reply from the router, I am about to post a topic on that) and have of course done not updates so this list might not be what you needed.

(I have since deleted this list because it was the wrong one and it was very long)

Edited by Michael Buckley, 27 June 2005 - 09:40 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I asked for errors only

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I was the Windows updates. I even told a person in this forum to uninstall his and it fix his problem. But I am not going to tell any one not to do it what caused it was one of two thing. (1) it is likely that downloading to many at a time caused incompatibility, solution don't download too many at a time. (2) the other possibility is that my Norton Anti-Virus removed a line of code thinking that it was virus related, solution turn of auto protect for the time it take to download the updates. hope this helps any body that had simlar problems.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 12 July 2005 - 01:20 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I forgot to say that you should not do any thing on the internet while your anti virus program is disabled besides the windows updates.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 12 July 2005 - 01:22 AM.