Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
The most likely problem is that you entered an incorrect encryption key; try setting up your encryption on your home router again (without using MAC filtering!). Be careful when you're entering the passphrase/key-code. If you're sure that you're entering all of the details correctly and still can't connect, then we can look into this further. If you can connect without MAC filtering, my advice would be to not bother with it; it offers negligible protection and causes a lot of headaches.

- Dan

Advertisements

alexnyc

alexnyc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a similar problem that's stumped me all weekend. I reset my router to change the WPA key. Since then, I haven't been able to connect because it can't acquire an IP address. Something is up with DHCP, but I can't figure it out.

I have power cycled countless times. I've reset the router several times and upgraded the firmware. I have tried configuring it both via its IP address (192.168.1.1) and the Linksys installation disk, with both DHCP and PPPOE setups. I did all the tricks Broni suggested above -- no dice. I can't get even an unsecured connection, so it doesn't have to do with the keys.

I'm getting "Limited or No Connectivity" on the Local Area Connection (Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connector) when I'm plugged into the modem via ethernet. When I do ipconfig/all, the IP address of the LAC is 169.254.xxx.xx (see below). When I try ipconfig/renew I get "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

However, I am able to get a connection through ethernet via WAN Miniport PPPOE that logs me into Earthlink, both directly through the modem and through the router (when the router is set to DHCP; not when it's set up for PPPOE).

I am connected to wireless at a cafe now no problem. I don't think it's my machine, although I haven't tested connecting via ethernet elsewhere.

At this point my options seem to be to set up static IP (which I can't figure out how to do) or just get a new modem (at which point I'll go ahead and change ISPs).

Any ideas or advice? Thanks for your insights.

Details:

Earthlink DSL
Efficient Speedstream 5260 Modem (http://kb.earthlink....p?article=79881)
Linksys WRT54G 8.0 Routher, Firmware 8.00.5

Edited by alexnyc, 10 March 2009 - 07:25 PM.