Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logon

• Please log in to reply

BillMCook

BillMCook

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I can no longer logon to my e-mail, MSN Money, Zone games, Charles Sshwab or any other site requiring a logon. I can get to the home page but when I attempt to login, the screen says "Unab le to Diplay page"
I can get into all these site on my desktop, but no my laptop.[size=2]

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!!

If this problem just happened a few days ago, try going to a restore point just before the problem. To get to a restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. If that works, cool. If it does not work, then continue with my instructions below under the section "Attempt to repair the problem".

If you do not have a restore point before the problem, or if you installed something important after the day of the restore point, then we will try a repair. Before we try anything, though, please create a restore point.

Attempt to repair the problem
Create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. And lets call it "Dial-a-Fix"

Now, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

Put a check next to Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc: (towards middle-right side). This will automatically check the sub-boxes too. Leave them as is.

Now click on GO at the bottom. When it is done fixing, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists.

BillMCook

BillMCook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!!

If this problem just happened a few days ago, try going to a restore point just before the problem. To get to a restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. If that works, cool. If it does not work, then continue with my instructions below under the section "Attempt to repair the problem".

If you do not have a restore point before the problem, or if you installed something important after the day of the restore point, then we will try a repair. Before we try anything, though, please create a restore point.

Attempt to repair the problem
Create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. And lets call it "Dial-a-Fix"

Now, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

Put a check next to Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc: (towards middle-right side). This will automatically check the sub-boxes too. Leave them as is.

Now click on GO at the bottom. When it is done fixing, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists.

BillMCook

BillMCook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried Dial-a-fix. Didn't solve problem. Still unable to login to any of my sites.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

If that does not work, then please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 August 2006 - 11:30 AM.

BillMCook

BillMCook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Attached File  Hijackthislog.txt   11.96KB   215 downloadsFollowed all instructions. Downloaded Highjack and I still can't get into any site that requires sign on.
Attached is log.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I see you have Norton. I've heard of Norton messing up secure site access. Try removing Norton, and then restart your computer and try again.

If you have any trouble removing Norton, use this Norton Removal Tool

NOTE: Do not surf without protection! ONLY go to the secure sites to see if they work or not. If they DON'T work, reinstall Norton. If they DO work, post back here for further instruction.

Let me know how it goes.

Upgrade

Upgrade

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry to butt in but microsoft has several knowledgebase articles about not being able to view secure websites.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;303807
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;870700

You may also want to check out this site:

http://www.duxcw.com...n/xp/secure.htm

Those are some pages you might want to check out if uninstalling Norton does not work (removing AV program is in the steps).