Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Massive Artifacts

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi All,

as the tittle suggest im having trouble with large artifacts and im not sure if its the display driver or my harware.

the problem when i get them the most is when im using solid works (a 3D solid engineering design program) when i rotate the image and even to teh point where im just moving my mouse these artifatcs come up that look basically like large triangles jaggering to the middle of the screen and its really annoying and frustrating basically because i cant rotate the image and actually see what the thing looks like

(refer to the images to get a basic look at what i mean)

Ok so this is what i have done to try to combate the problem:
1. uninstall modded drivers (omega) and ran driver cleaner
2. re-installed original drivers from asus (asus radeon 9550)
3. that didnt work
4. uninstalled asus drivers and used driver cleaner
5. installed other soft modded drivers
6. that made it worse
7. uninstalled them and ran driver cleaner
8. downloaded and installed new catalyst software package from Ati
9. didnt fix it or help in anyway

and now im asking for your help what do i do??? is it my card thats damaged due to heat (i overclock the card) [oh and the artifacts happen when its running at standard speeds]

do i need to replace my grahics card? or get better drivers?

any help would be much appreciated ive exhausted all i can think of and nothings working

thank you,
Troppo

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot___24_03_2007___9_58_20_AM.png
  • Screenshot___24_03_2007___9_58_09_AM.png
  • Screenshot___24_03_2007___10_15_54_AM.png

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've exhausted all driver options then it's quite possible that the card has been damaged by your overclocking...do you have an onboard video card or extra one lying around that you could test this theory with though?

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
unfortunetly not at all i have an old AGP 2X card which wont work

ive been looking at an XFX 7600GT 256Mb card

what do you think about that for a replacement card?
here are some specs:
1) core-->560Mhz
2) GDDR3-->1.4Ghz
3) Pixel pipelines-->12
4) Bandwidth--> 22.4 Gb/s

Does it sound good enough?? because over here in Aus AGP cards and computer equipment in general is very expensive im paying about S250 AUD which is about $200 US. the PCI-E version of this card is about $70 cheaper (AUD) us poor AGP fools have been left behind :whistling:

also i no there are cheaper versions of this card say from gainward or a similar manafacturer but i seem to think that XFX are a decent company am i mistaken??

but anyway does it sound like it would last me a little while until the next upgrade or build??
Will it run vista ok??

thanks fr your reply dsenette ive been waiting a while :blink:
its much appreciated,
troppo

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not a bleeding edge hardware geek....therefore i'm not the best to suggest which card is a good one or not..

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Ok then well thank you for your help anyway,

ive decided to just bite the bullet and order one im expecting it within the next few days only because i need it for university and they are getting worse

but thank you again its much appreciated

troppo