Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mixing PCI and PCI Express Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply

Kei_Centillion

Kei_Centillion

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
To see original post/question, go here

Okay, so I recently created my own new system 100% by myself. I thought I was ready to do so, for having worked on and with computers for several years. However, I'm encountering error after error after error.

The latest one is this; while waiting for my dvdrw drive, computer case, and more ram, I put in my new nvidia 512mb (geforce) 7300 PCI express graphics card to have dual monitors; I only have 2 old crts, and no adapters, so I left the older normal PCI card, a nvidia 6200 series 256mb card, in.

Now, I have completed the assembly of the computer, and tried playing oblivion; to my utter horror, the game looked god-aweful and lagged something worse. In my previous post I listed my system specs; here they are again for reference;

ECS NFORCE6M-A - Motherboard Based on NVIDIA nForce 520LE (Socket AM2) Chipset
4.8 ghz AMD athlon prossessor (Brisbane 2.4 x2 dual core)
2 gigs RAM

I have almost 1tb of Hard drive space, 350gb free, so there's no question of room/space.

I'm thinking it might be a conflict of drivers? It was brought up in the previously mentioned thread that my PSU might be really straining to power eveything in and outside my apevia x-plorer case, but I doubt it because my left monitor (the older crt on the 6200 monitor) always flickers on boot, something it never did until i put both cards in, and defaults to 800 x 600 resolution. I can then change it to 1024 x 768 manually, however.

Any help appreciated =/

I'm running windows XP proffessional SP2 with vista inspirat 1, ftr

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Kei, & welcome to Geeks2Go!

Unfortunately, PCI & PCI-E on the same board aren't designed to be used together for the same type of device (in your case a graphics card). They are there to give you a choice and (where PCI slots are fitted) for backwards compatibility with PCI hardware if, for example you already own an expensive high-end PCI gaming card, or if a card you want to buy is only available as PCI but not PCI-E.

So it's a case of "either one or the other" but not "both together" as this leads to insurmountable IRQ and driver conflicts.

Edited by pip22, 07 March 2008 - 02:31 PM.

Kei_Centillion

Kei_Centillion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for a prompt response! I figured as much... As soon as I get this video adapter I'll be removing the 6200 card and either sell it or donate it to a freind.

To remove it's driver, and thus remove all the issues it created, I'm hoping all I have to do is go to device manager and uninstall the driver? Would that resolve my compatability issues, you think? Thanks.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts

I'm hoping all I have to do is go to device manager and uninstall the driver? Would that resolve my compatability issues, you think?

Yes. :)

RobInAz

RobInAz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got this to work on a Dell 690 with Windows 7 64 bit.
The trick was the first time I put the PCI card in, no display. I had to remote desktop in. The hardware manager showed all cards as requiring reboot with the yellow caution triangle thingys.
I opened cmd and then entered shutdown -t 0 -r -f to reboot.
This time the displays connected to the PCIe card powered up. It took a long (like 10 minutes) time for Windows 7 to login and all the video cards were sorted out.

The PCIe card is an NVIDIA QUADRO FX 550. The two PCI cards are NVIDIA GeForce 6200.