Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My free disk space keeps disappearing!

• Please log in to reply

falcon

falcon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I first notice the problem when the low disk space message appeared I checked the properties for c drive and it said there was only about 20mb free, so I deleted some files and uninstalled some programs which cleared up about 500mb then about 5 minutes later the low disk space message pops up again. I checked properties for the drive again and the free space has drop really low again. I have deleted more stuff but ended up with the same result evertime.
Anyone got an idea about what would cause this and how to fix it. any help would be great.

josh

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Do you have an automatic back-up program running ?
I had a similar problem once when the size of the back-up outgrew the storage area available.
Another possibility would be some kind of log file, perhaps from an anti-spyware program that is set to append to an existing log instead of rewriting it.

falcon

falcon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the reply.
there is no auto backup program. as for log files i did find drwntsn32.log which was 3+ Gigs which seems strange. anyway i deleted it which you would think would free up 3gigs of space, but no, still only about 20mb free.
i also just noticed that if i select all the files on c drive and check properties it shows that they are 4.85gigs but in properties for c drive itself it shows 9.71gigs used space.

any ideas?

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Check your running process list for any unusual entries. (Ctrl+Alt+Del, Applications and Processes tabs).
Sounds like malware may be involved, do you have up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware programs ?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy falcon and welcome to G2G:

The System Restore program can use up to 12% of your hard-drive space.. This is a hidden file so you won't see it normally..

Also, your Recycle Bin can reserve up to 10% of the total hdd space.. have you deleted it's contents lately??

Murray

falcon

falcon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem solved, it was the norton protected recycle bin. Now to find a way to switch the stupid thing off.

Thanks for the help guys.