Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netintelligence removal ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Littleclare

Littleclare

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok.. I have a friend who has just got a homeaccess laptop and it has this net intelligence on it.

It wont allow her daughter to get onto wikipedia which she needs for her school work and also alot of other sites. I have contacted comet which she got the lappy from and they say they can not give the code as it will destroy the warranty.

She doesnt care about the warrenty, she just wants to use the lap top as a laptop on the internet. I will not even allow them to check there msn emails or googlemail emails.

I have had a look and I dont know windows 7 at all but in the add and remove it asks for the code, we dont have the code and in the control panel of netintel it asks for a username and password.. we dont have that as they wont give it us.

Is there any way I can uninstall it by bypassing the add/remove. Her daughter is 14 and very trustworthy on the internet, she has been net using for years now and knows the dangers.. she just wants free will on there and I am trying to get that but now I am at a brick wall.

I hope someone can help me with this horrible problem.

Advertisements

mazza25

mazza25

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

These links might be useful, there are sections on how to allow sites and set user permissions.
Hope it helps, myself and a few others have found it useful http://kb.netintelli...nce_Home_Access

Littleclare

Littleclare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have had a look at that, that would help me if I knew the username and password. Comet says they cant supply it. :)

mazza25

mazza25

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Call Netintelligence and they will contact Comet for you to get it sorted. Did you set up and account already, with the activation key?
The number is 030700500990

Littleclare

Littleclare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. :) Im getting her to call them now, I am now sorting this out over the phone with jo (Friend) as im back home now. cant do it over msn as msn is blocked. sigh.

Right.. set up the laptop, plugged in the dongle.. works fine connected.. got to google home page.. then denied denied denied. Facebook, googlemail, msn, hotmail. wikipedia.. so I went into the controls of netintel and they needed a username and password. looked through the paperwork. nothing.. so i called comet. they cant supply it. so I tried to uninstall.. impossible, its worse than uninstalling norton off vista. you need a code to uninstall.. called comet back. they wont give it.

So now I have passed the number on and I will update as and when i know anything, even if it means me trying to bypass somehow.

mazza25

mazza25

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Once you set it to controls you want (you as in friend lol) then it will work fine, this is what we found. Netintelligence guys should be able to help and the link i posted earlier will show how to allow things. Once you get started it's fairly easy, i suppose its just the getting started!
Good Luck, and yeah please post back :)

Littleclare

Littleclare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Right. I am brining the laptop to mine tonight and im going to work on it, Jo is not computer literate at all so ita easier this way plus the dongle she gets with it isnt the best for a steady connection.

mazza25

mazza25

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I would get her to call up for the account and password before she brings it up to you, that way you are armed and ready :)

Littleclare

Littleclare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
She did call netintel.. they said a software code should have been sent with the bump from homeaccess. As she isnt that pc knowledgeable I have a feeling its in there somewhere but doesn't know where to look.

I have a feeling this might be simple.. for me.. with my own pc next to me lol. I just haven't used windows 7 before.

mazza25

mazza25

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Maybe it's her activation code she is missing? If she hasn't activated it, she won't have a username or password either. If she can't find it, Comet should be able to replace that. All she would have to say is she has mislaid it and they can give her a new one.

Advertisements

Littleclare

Littleclare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thats what im thinking although she does say she has a code on the home access letter.. and its 4 letters dash and 4 numbers and letters.. a bit like a windows activation she said.. sounds to me thats it but she doesnt know where to go with it as she says the icon isnt on the desktop to click.. but it wasnt when I had alook earlier, I had to seach for it.

Urrgh they never make it easy for pc newcomers do they.. sigh.

mazza25

mazza25

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just looked out the stuff I got with my laptop and my registration code is a mix of 5 letters and numbers hyphenated by another mix of 5 letters and numbers. Mine was on the receipt that I got from comet. Also, from looking on the laptop there is an icon on the desktop and there is also a Netintelligence folder and icon in all programs in the start menu button thing.

Edited by mazza25, 22 February 2010 - 09:07 AM.

Littleclare

Littleclare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I sorted it.

Comet never issued the activation code, they forgot. I ended up calling on her behalf and saying I dont want the code to remove it, i want the code to activate it. 3 codes later and one worked.. I still have to get to grips with how to unblock everything.. done her main sites for now though. Wiki, google, facebook and hotmail. I still can not use google chrome as the browser but ill sort that out at a later date. Wow my brain is fried lol. Also windows 7 doesn't look much different from vista.

mazza25

mazza25

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm really pleased you got this sorted, it's funny how it's always something so simple (them forgetting the code).
I have to say I prefer Windows 7 to vista, it doesn't look vastly different but as an OS I think it's superior. :)

morpheusa5

morpheusa5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Currently Google Chrome will not work on any PC installed with NetIntelligence!
This is because unlike most applications that get installed onto a PC, Chrome installs itself into your local user profile folder (app data) and does not get the NetIntelligence rules applied to it like most other browsers. In effect, a child with non admin rights could download and install Chrome and then bypass the Netintelligence rules.

Because of this outcome, NI blocks Chrome from accessing the internet completely. Its a safety thing really.. Its being worked on, but I don't know when the update will be available.
Shame really, because Chrome is a very good and fast browser!