Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OH MY GOD! i need help

• Please log in to reply

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok my site has been up for months...now im starting to have a problom. go to www.kitkin15.tk
and go to "programs" and try to download one. it will pop up something saying that the link is broken, i dont remember this happening before but...well....i dont know. i changed hosts, but i transfered everything right.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

im just now getting ALOT of people to my site...so i need to get this fixed soon

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Surely, those links are dead, because they lead to nowhere.

For instance, I go to:
Index of /programs/portable apps/codysafe
and I check value of Free Download Manager.exe

It says:

<a href="Free%20Download%20Manager.exe"> Free Download Manager.exe</a>

a href value has to point to some download location, which is missing.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
nvm this =(

Edited by kitkin15, 03 January 2010 - 08:37 PM.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
and is there any chance that apache2 needs to be changed? just woundering, im having touble changing the codes right now. so as a just incase i want to see if this could be my problom

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok...i was wrong...its not fixed. i dont know whats wrong, but i think that MYBE apache2 is still set up for my other domain...not sure if thats it, but its a chance. and i dont know what "PUTTY" does, but could that also be my problom? that might be set to my other domain, if thats possable....im sooooooo confused

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
That link has to lead to the actual file(s) location, wherever you have them.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
For one, security measure will not always allow executable files to be downloaded. Might want to zip those unless you plan to use a PHP script to force a download.

Another thing, you MUST not use whitespace in folder or file names. Browsers will consider it a path error for the link. Ran my Link Checker and it just sat there. Links like following are considered malformed links because of whitespace:

<a href="my usefull sites.php">my links to usefull websites</a>

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
broni, i do have it linked to the right thing.
and major payne what do you mean by "whitespaces" and is there anyway you could give me a link to that program?(the link checker)

and if you go back to my site, and go to programs....do you see anything underneth my links? no. there is saposed to be something writtin saying apache2 server and some other things, for an example pelase go to: www.kitkin.ath.cx and go to my programs on there, you will see that apache shows up.

now kitkin.ath.cx is my site that my frined hosts, well i wanted to host it myself so i downloaded all my files to my desktop(using filezilla) and than i uploaded them to kitkin15.webege.com. i DID NOT change putty (if its needed, im not sure) or apache2, so should i uninstall apache2 and reinstall it? i think it has settings for a certin website that you tell it to. if this is not true than pelase tell me (my friend set everything up, i know what i know from experementing lol)

(im sorry if i sounded rude to eaither of you, i am also having probloms with my flashdrive that has all my data on it...and my neck hurts lol. i dont mean to be rude though, thank both of you for helping =)

(P.S. plus im kind of new at the whole "being smart thing" you might be able to tell by my spelling errors, and i apoligize for that also.)

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok i have this problom soulved =) i do think it was apache2 that gave me probloms, but i still dont know that lol.

what im oding now is making pages, so i can describe what the programs are, what they do, and so on. now im making ".php" pages to do this, so far its working, but i have another problom, i have had this before and it just buggs me. now when you go to www.kitkin15.tk, and you click the "programs" link, this new page will pop up, than click on "browsers" and click on IE7, it will ask for my FTP username and password...how do i stop that? its happened before and for the most part it stops after i put my password in 1 time on that program\page/ect... but with all the programs i have i dont want to do that.

do i need to make the page "writable" by everyone?(including subfolders and so on, i do that as a just incase lol)

and how do i stop my FTP client (filezilla) from logging me out evry 3 minutes? that really anoys me and i dont want to get into anything i dont know about

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Whitespace is the use of compound words in file and folder names. For example, the link, "href="my usefull sites.php", uses whitespace which many browsers will consider a malformed link. You have spaces between the words "my usefull sites.php". That IS NOT a link. Better to shorten it to sites.php, but if it helps you to remember what it is by file name then...

href="my_usefull_sites.php" or href="my-usefull-sites.php" or href="myusefullsites.php" will work in the link tags.

Right now with the asking for password, you may have your pages CHMOD to the wrong value. 744 is the usual CHMOD value unless the PHP setup says otherwise for a file.

For FileZilla dropout may occur because of this:

The TCP specifications do not set a limit on the amount of time a connection can stay idle. Unless explicitly closed a connection is assumed to remain alive indefinitely. Many routers and firewalls however automatically close idle connections after a while. Worse, they most of the time don't even notify the endpoints of this, instead they just silently drop the connection. So for FTP this means that during a long transfer the control connection can get dropped, but neither client nor server get to know about it. So when all data has been transferred, the server still thinks the control connection is alive and sends the transfer confirmation reply over the control connection. Likewise, the client as well thinks the control connection is alive and waits for the reply from the server. But since the control connection got silently dropped, this reply never arrives, eventually causing a timeout.

In an attempt to solve this problem, the TCP specifications include a way to send keep-alive packets on otherwise idle TCP connections, to tell all involved parties that the connection is still alive and needed. However, the TCP specifications also make it very clear that these keep-alive packets should not be sent more often than once every two hours. Thus, with added tolerance for network latency, connections can stay idle for up to 2 hours and 4 minutes.

The problem is that many routers and firewalls drop connections that have been idle for less than 2 hours and 4 minutes. Such behavior is violating the TCP specifications, RFC 5382 makes this very clear. In other words, all routers and firewalls that are dropping idle connections too early are broken, they just cannot be used for long FTP transfers. Unfortunately manufacturers of consumer-grade router and firewall vendors do not care about specifications, all they care about is getting your money and thus only deliver barely working lowest quality junk.

To solve this problem you need to uninstall affected firewalls and replace the faulty routers with a quality one.

Switching from one mode to the other may help. Some FTPs have a way to send a keep alive to prevent server closing.

Advertisements

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
oh yes im going to change those names anyways lol.

but filezilla has this thing where it makes you log out if your not active for 3 minutes. its for security reasons, but what im doing takes time, and i have to keep loggin in and i dont always have the time to do this. i just want to know if there is a way to disable this affect(i have the newest filezilla)

i also went to my host's website and they have an online FTP, and that does the same thing, so i know its saposed to happen, but i think theres a way to stop it. (only for filezilla though, i dont use the online one that much so it dont bother me any)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
FileZilla is not the cause of you logging out. I use it here and have for years. The server will close the idle connection if there is no keep alive command sent to keep the connection open. SmartFTP, use to be free, had a choice where you could enter the keep alive command and the connection would always stay open. It is quick to log in. Don't understand the problem if you've set up the quick connect for FileZilla. I gave you the link that shows you how to set up FileZilla.

You will have to find the FTP program like SmartFTP that allows you to set up the option for the keep alive command to the server. I have to take a long time editing some pages here, too, but the quick connect allows me to reconnect fast enough if server has closed connection. The option is to call support and see if you can set up the server differently. Or if they could.

Edited by Major Payne, 05 January 2010 - 07:09 PM.

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
oh sorry, i didnt read that before. that is my problom, and what is CHOMD? is that where it says "numerical value"? mine is 750, so thats why im asking.

sorry that i am such a pain, i didnt set the server up myself =(

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
750 means that you, the owner (7) can read/write/execute. The "5" is giving group permissions to read and execute. Chmod definition

kitkin15

kitkin15

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok, so i should change it from 150, to 144?
or should i leave it where its at? it dont matter to me as long as it will stop asking for a password.