Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oops..... I've deleted Microsoft PCHEALTH

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JKintheUK

JKintheUK

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello guys, I need your help! I've been a little silly :) :)

I've been clearing out my parents computer of all the clutter that accumulates and uninstalling all the software they never use, using Revo Uninstaller.

After clearing all the clutter I saw 'PCHealth' and without thinking uninstalled that. What was really annoying was as soon as Revo started removing it I realised but it was too late. You see, guilty confession here - I've gone to remove this before but did an internet search, realised what it was and left it alone. HOWEVER I'd forgotten this!

I feel so bloody stupid!

I really need it back as it actually does a lot i.e. Help & Support, msconfig etc - as you no doubt know. I found this forum doing an internet search and finding jim10011's post that was resolved and closed yesterday. I can't seem to be able to solve the problem though...

I've copied the PCHealth folder from a working PC, renamed the defunct PCHealth folder within Safe Mode and replaced with the copied working PCHealth folder.
Desperate attempt to make it work, but it doesn't.

Obviously I can't use System Restore so thats out.

I've tried running sfc /scannow. It doesn't prompt for the XP cd. The dialog box comes up, the progress bar goes across, takes about 30 mins and then disappears.

I know the computer is clean - the biggest danger to my computers is clearly me!!!

Many thanks in advance for any help received,

John

EDIT: I saw the following on Ur I.T. Mate Group

Q. I accidentally deleted the PCHEALTH index.dat file, what do I do?
A. The facility that this file provides, can be restored by going to Start > Run, and entering the following - then clicking OK.

msinfo32 /categories +all -loadedmodules

Could this be of any help to me?

Edited by JKintheUK, 06 February 2009 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

jambus572

jambus572

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Erm, I don't think it'll do any harm to try the quote at the bottom of your post. I don't quite know just how valuable PCHEALTH is, but if it really is necessary, I'd just copy any data and reinstall XP, I know it's abit of a long winded way but it's always solved my problems =D Don't know how happy your parents will be though :)!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
No Windows reinstall needed: http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle37269.aspx

JKintheUK

JKintheUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello again - many thanks for the replies!

I haven't tried the procedure I quoted in my first post yet as I don't like doing things I don't at least partly understand. Thats how I usually destroy things! Should I give it a go? If its not gonna cause any more harm, obviously I will.

I tried the tweakxp link provided though, alas to no avail.

PCHealth does now show up in Revo Uninstaller, so I know its at least partly installed but I haven't regained virtually all of the lost services/functionality. System restore, help & support and the LAN connection doesn't work. However msconfig does now work again. I've managed to get the help & support service working however when I try to start the service I get an error and it can't start.

Windows is a right state, so I've decided a full reinstall is best. Only problem now, is ideally I'd at least get the LAN connection working so I can easily transfer all their documents etc across to another computer before I format the hard disk. Otherwise its burning loadsa DVDs and I'm not too keen. Any ideas???

Again many thanks.
John

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Remove the hard drive, and slave it, or use the enclosure.

JKintheUK

JKintheUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guys, many thanks for your help.

I thought I'd add an update for the benefit of anyone that finds this thread by searching the internet for a solution to the same problem. I've gone into some detail, so the novice user such as myself can understand exactly what I mean. I don't mean to patronise anyone, so if you're a tech wizz there's probably no reason to read on! See below:

In my experience trying to get PCHealth took me literally days of sitting in front of a computer swearing profusely and I got nowhere. If you value your time at all, this just isn't worth persevering with. Try the tips given here - if they don't work within a couple of hours max - give up; format c:\ and reinstall Windows. Seriously.

I'll admit time is spent backing up all your documents etc but it's definately worth it. Firstly, I'd never reinstalled Windows before but it's not too difficult. If your computer is old and has accumulated god only knows how much rubbish like mine you won't believe how much faster it will run again. I'd *STRONGLY* recommend cloning your HDD (I used Norton Ghost 9.0) so you can at least go back to the 'broken' state.

The only problem with this method is that if like me, you deleted the recovery partition that your computer came with and don't have any of the driver CDs etc, you're in for untold difficulties without having another computer that you can at least download your network adapter drivers onto, copy to the reformatted PC and install. Once you've got this installed all other drivers can be downloaded from the respective manufacturers' websites. Luckily I had another computer to hand so this was possible - I don't know how this would be possible without a second computer connected to the internet.

Again, cheers for the help received here - this forum will be my first port of call for further problems!

John.

EDIT: Spelling

PS: I'd consider this question answered - mods feel free to close this thread

Edited by JKintheUK, 11 February 2009 - 08:34 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thank you for posting back.
Topic closed.